Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Engineering function’s primary objective is to focus on the delivery of our equipment and support by providing specialist expertise in domain-related disciplines such as: mechanical, electrical and power distribution; software, sensors and electronic systems; acquisition safety and environmental protection; quality assurance; ordnance munitions and explosives, as well as systems engineering and integration.
Ensuring the equipment procured and supported by DE&S on behalf of the Armed Forces is safe to use and environmentally sound is vital to the procurement process. The DE&S Quality, Safety and Environmental Protection (QSEP) group reports to the Director of Engineering and Safety, providing DE&S with policy, advice, guidance, tools and related assurance of high-level management systems. We enable safety and environmental protection to be effectively and efficiently managed within DE&S, both for our own people and sites and for the users of the equipment we supply. Unique challenges and work diversity mean that the job is satisfying and meaningful, supplying essential support and capability to the front line commands. We are doing something that really makes a difference and are recognised as playing an important role across Defence.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Hazardous Stores Information System (HSIS) team, as part of the DE&S Safety and Environmental Protection (SEP) team. To give the performance required by our Armed Forces, many defence systems can be hazardous when not properly managed. This assignment plays a vital role in protecting our people and the environment by ensuring that accurate safety data is available where and when it is needed.
In your role as a member of the Safety and Environmental Protection (SEP) Team, your responsibilities will include:
• managing the Hazardous Stores Information System, which provides a corporate repository for Safety Data Sheets;
• acting as Dangerous Goods Advisor for DE&S;
• managing contracts for provision of hazardous substances labels and placards for equipment and transport, Tie Down Schemes for movement of equipment, and access to online databases;
• provision of advice and guidance on storage, handling and transport of dangerous goods and hazardous materials;
• supporting the development of a DE&S workforce that is safety and environmentally competent and understands the risks of hazardous materials;
These activities are key to ensuring DE&S meets its legal obligations for management of hazardous stores, and reduces the risk to our front-line customers and people throughout the supply chain. Duties will also include providing ad hoc support to the SEP Team’s hazardous materials management work, and delivery management responsibilities for three technical support staff.
Essential to your success will be an ability to demonstrate:
• an ability to manage technical engineering requirements (including development and maintenance of system requirements, contract tender assessment and change management).
• an ability to determine quality management and assurance approaches and ensure technical risks are understood and managed.
• an engineering background and the ability to demonstrate you have developed familiarity with one or more of the domains DE&S covers (i.e. Maritime, Weapons, Air, Nuclear and Land).
• good stakeholder management and communication skills.
• a working knowledge, understanding and experience of using a range of safety management tools and techniques.
You will ideally also have:
• professional registered status, or an ability to demonstrate equivalent knowledge, skills and experience;
• membership of a relevant engineering or science institute, or equivalent body;
• a minimum of an NQF Level 4 qualification in a relevant engineering or science discipline;
• experience of providing technical advice and delivering successful engineering outcomes;
• technical experience in dangerous goods, hazardous materials, or transportation.
Please note that you may be considered for similar positions at the level below the advertised role.
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with plenty of opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service on or after 5 October 2018 may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About DE&S and your team
The force behind the armed forces, DE&S is a highly specialised, branch of the MoD, operating with a budget of £178 billion over the next 10 years. From the procurement of aircraft carriers to the provision of food, we ensure our armed forces have the equipment and support they need to achieve their operations. We employ over 12,000 people across more than 150 locations around the world.
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Please submit all applications before midnight on 12th July 2020
Gemma Carney - DE&S Gattaca Delivery Consultant£28,900 - £34,000
||Gemma Carney - DE&S Gattaca Delivery Consultant
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)