Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Royal Navy’s Submarine Service has operated the UK’s Nuclear Deterrent every hour of every day for nearly 50 years, protecting our nation from the most extreme threats. The Submarine Delivery Agency are now recruiting for extraordinary people to help deliver the UK’s next generation of ballistic missile submarines – The Dreadnought Class.
This role offers the opportunity to work within a diverse and multi-disciplined team within the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA). The SDA is responsible for the United Kingdom's submarine maintenance and build programme; a top priority of the UK’s defence programme and one of the largest UK programmes in existence. Working with their key industrial partners, BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and Babcock Marine, they are striving towards delivering submarine capability in a more cost efficient, effective and safe way.
Would you love to have the opportunity to work on the UK’s leading, most exciting Defence project?
The Infrastructure Team at Devonport have an exciting opportunity for a talented Engineer to join their team.
The UK operational submarine capability is reliant upon the infrastructure that supports it. The Devonport Infrastructure team is responsible for delivering and updating the infrastructure on the Devonport Royal Dockyard so that the SDA can better maintain the availability of operational submarines and support the responsible defueling and disposal of decommissioned submarines.
The Infrastructure Team work with Babcock to develop new and existing infrastructure. The end goal is to build two berths and modify a dock, in order to provide capability to provide maintenance periods for the new Astute Class Submarine. The team are striving to have the facilities in service for 2025, and berth starting in 2022. It is paramount that the team agree contracts with Babcock so that they can deliver the facilities in order for Babcock to be able to operate in the facilities when completed.
The successful candidate in this position will be responsible for collating the requirements for those facilities. In particular, you must work with the contractor to make sure SDA are supplying them with the information that they require to design and construct nuclear safety cases. You will need to work as an “intelligent customer”, working with Babcock to ensure that The SDA are happy with Babcock’s designs and attending design reviews.
In addition, you will be expected to advise on technical problem solving, coupled with appropriate management planning abilities to resolve complex engineering problems. You will need to define technical requirements, manage solution development and ensure compliance with the customers’ requirements.
All of this will therefore see you being required to act as a subject matter expert in your specialist area and as a key liaison between the SDA, contractors and other project stakeholders.
Adapting to new ways of working, demonstrating diverse and flexible approaches to challenges, working in collaboration and maintaining a right first-time approach to solution implementation will be key. The assignments are an integral interface to our supply base ensuring technical solutions meet the needs and requirements of the armed forces.
• Managing engineering technical requirements (definition, architecture, integration, contract assessment, management and change)
• Producing or contributing to Engineering plans
• Collecting, collating and evaluating technical data, reviewing technical equipment and systems, including its in-service support, and make recommendations to the Engineering Manager
• Contribution to effective Technical Management of projects and tasks for which you are responsible e.g. identification of requirements, technical risk mitigation and reporting against programme milestones and schedules
• Interacting with the customer and colleagues to define and implement scopes of work covering engineering activity using an assortment of different tools and techniques
• Developing and updating detailed engineering management schedules including the preparation and management of any remedial actions required.
• Promoting and fostering positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and the understanding and explaining technical subject matter to non-engineers and senior stakeholders.
To be successful you must have:
• Level 4 qualification in a relevant Engineering discipline or equivalent experience
• Strong stakeholder and communication skills with the ability to influence decisions, including senior managers
• The ability to draw on evidence provided to form opinions and present sound arguments
• Demonstrable experience in delivering to tight timescales
It would be highly advantageous if you have:
• Civil Engineering background
• Experience working on Infrastructure projects
• Defence experience
• Engineering experience in a project environment
Please note this post is reserved for Sole UK Nationals only.
Please note that you may be considered for similar positions at the level below the advertised role.
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with plenty of opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service on or after 5 October 2018 may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers."
About DE&S/SDA and your team
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1400 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Abi Bendinger£28,050 - £33,000
Defence Equipment and Support
HMNB Devonport, HM Naval Base, Devonport
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)