Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
The Royal Navy’s Submarine Service has operated the UK’s Nuclear Deterrent every hour of every day for nearly 50 years, protecting our nation from the most extreme threats. The Submarine Delivery Agency are now recruiting for extraordinary people to help deliver the UK’s next generation of ballistic missile submarines – The Dreadnought Class.
The Project Controls is a key function within The SDA and plays a vital role in ensuring the success of projects by providing Estimating, Cost Control, Planning and Scheduling and Risk Management. What makes the function unique is that they are involved in all phases of a project from the proposal through to completion, ensuring work is delivered on time and within budget.
The Trident Systems Project Team procure and support the Trident Strategic Weapons System, a key component of the UK’s Independent Nuclear Deterrent. They have an exciting opportunity for a Project Controls Coordinator to join their team in Corsham. The successful candidate will be responsible for the management of financial information (annual budget of ~£10M), risk reporting, risk management and project reporting. So if you have experience in Project Controls, we would welcome an application from you.
This role will involve regular liaison with stakeholders and therefore requires someone with a talent for communicating, influencing and working with others. A background in Risk Management and experience of implementing new and evolving plans, would also be ideal.
In person, you will be a diligent and committed team-player with a meticulous and accurate way of working. The ability to collaborate with others and assist stakeholders will enable you to build key relationships within your local delivery team. An attitude dedicated to personal improvement will underpin your success and enable you to develop your business acumen as you progress further within the business.
As this is a complex and multifaceted post in a highly sensitive area, this post is Reserved (Sole UK Nationals only), DV (Developed Vetting) and Sensitive. Applicants will start the post with valid SC (Security Check) and be willing to undertake a DV security clearance within the first 6 months of employment.
Please note that this role is situated in an underground facility and therefore, for health and safety reasons the successful applicant must be physically able to climb 100ft of stairs in the event of an emergency.
Day to day you will be responsible for managing the activities of team members, ensuring the programme information and changes are recorded accurately and circulated effectively. You will oversee and organise the activities of the Project Controls Function through the collation and standardisation of data to create monthly reports. You may also become involved with cost estimating, schedule development, as well as impact identification, and opportunity/dependency management.
Responsibilities could also include:
• Communicating project controls data to key members of the projects, programme and leadership in a simple and understandable way.
• Communicating with, and influencing team members on all aspects of project controls
• Assist with assuring the quality and accuracy of all project controls data and artefacts produced by the project controls team are utilised by the project.
• Help with developing the Performance Measurement Baseline to aid effective performance analysis and project management.
• Working with Project Management and Commercial Teams to ensure that contractors and suppliers data is received in a timely manner, in an appropriate format and to the required quality
• Producing accurate financial forecasts for both operating expenditure and Equipment Programme spend.
• Working with and advising internal stakeholders to ensure coherent effective communication of project performance analysis
• Co-ordinating project risks, alerting senior stakeholders to the need of appropriate recovery action
• Co-ordinating project scope and change through robust assumptions management and change control mitigation to ensure that only documented authorised changes are made at the right level.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Sufficient experience working in a Project Controls environment
• Level 3 qualification or equivalent experience in a relevant Project Controls discipline
• Be a member of a Project Management body or possess equivalent levels of professional experience within a formal project environment
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Financial background
• Risk Management experience
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Setting the Project/programme context
• Stakeholder Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working together
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across SDA, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste this URL into your browser for further information:
Abi Bendinger - Talent Acquisition Specialist19,000 - £29,000
||Abi Bendinger - Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
Basil Hill Barracks, Park Lane
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)