Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Ensuring the equipment procured and supported by DE&S on behalf of the Armed Forces is safe to use and environmentally sound is vital to our procurement process. The DE&S Quality, Safety and Environmental Protection (QSEP) group reports to the Director of Engineering and Safety, providing DE&S with policy, advice, guidance, tools and related assurance of high-level management systems.
We enable safety and environmental protection to be effectively and efficiently managed within DE&S, both for our own people and sites and for the users of the equipment we supply. Unique challenges and work diversity mean that the job is satisfying and meaningful, supplying essential support and capability to the front line commands. We are doing something that really makes a difference and are recognised for playing an important role across Defence.
The Safety and Environmental Protection Team (SEP) team are looking for an Environmental Protection Policy Manager to help DE&S improve its safety and environmental performance by leading the ongoing development of the Project Orientated Environmental Management System (POEMS). This role involves providing ongoing maintenance of the POEMS content for relevance and currency, identifying where improvements can be made, and providing advice to the wider organisation on its application.
In your role as our Environmental Protection Policy Manager, you will be:
• Developing an ongoing review programme of the POEMS website, including managing Subject Matter Expert involvement
• Initiating, presenting and drafting new content to ensure POEMS aligns with current industry practice, MoD policy and regulation
• Ensuring that feedback and direction from DE&S environmental groups is applied and represented in POEMS where appropriate
• Manage the interface between POEMS and other DE&S/MoD Environmental guidance including wider ASEMS, Knowledge in Defence and the SEP web pages
This role is about helping the organisation continually improve its environmental protection policy and guidance.
While one part of this role is about ensuring new policy is implemented in accordance with corporate direction, the other is about encouraging and facilitating input from the wide range of customers within DE&S to ensure corporate guidance is helpful to those across all domains (Land, Sea, Air and Weapons).
This role includes management of all corporate environmental protection policy and instructions to the ASEP community within DE&S, including guidance and support to help the implementation of these instructions.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Practitioner status in environmental protection is essential, ideally through MoD accredited programmes or willingness to undertake this within the first 12 months
• Practical experience of managing environmental procedures, including the implementation of POEMS techniques
• An excellent level of stakeholder management and communication skills at a senior level
• Practical experience of the implementation of environmental management systems for products, services or systems, including environmental management planning and environmental case development and review
• A working knowledge, understanding and experience of a range of environmental tools and techniques, including impact screening, scoping and prioritisation alongside a high
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience of writing policy, procedures or guidance in an acquisition environmental protection context
• A relevant environmental management or science qualification at bachelors or postgraduate-level.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Formulate Environmental Policy and procedures - Practitioner
• Implementation of Policy and Procedures - Practitioner
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
All applications to be submitted by 11:55pm on 6th September 2020
Gemma Carney- DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist£39,950 - £47,000
||Gemma Carney- DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)