Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Defence, Equipment & Support (DE&S) / Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) are looking for talented Engineers that are able to work with a system engineering approach with a discipline foundation in Mechanical systems and/or Electrical/Electronic Systems to join their team. They are offering the unique opportunity to work across a breadth of projects, from Royal Naval Platforms at Sea, to Maritime Combat Systems and Nuclear Propulsion.
If you have experience in Engineering with a Systems approach bias and have a talent for communication, influencing and embracing change, then we would welcome an application from you.
If successful in this position you will be eligible for various diverse roles that best suit your discipline, these roles include:
o Supporting the definition of technical requirements
o Management of solution development, and ensuring compliance with customer requirements.
o Evaluating and planning the acceptance of requirements and testing and trialling
o Resolving technical complex engineering problems, demonstrating your knowledge and experience in engineering projects.
o Carrying out in-service projects including improvement projects ensuring the physical integration with the Ship and other systems is managed and risks understood
o Providing a systems engineering expertise and approach to enable multiple complex systems to be integrated together into a larger more complex platform through understanding the holistic requirements and constraints across the whole platform. Enabling all system/equipment contributors and the whole platform teams to deliver concurrently in an efficient and effective manner though technical understanding and communication.
o Identifying and resolve technical safety issues across systems
As well as the technical elements of the role it will encompass elements of planning and technical performance reporting. As a result you will enhance your skills and further develop your Maritime subject matter knowledge to help DE&S/ SDA ensure that the armed forces can operate in the most demanding environments with confidence in their equipment.
We're keen to see applications from candidates that have:
o Worked in a Complex systems based environment, ideally in a regulated or standard driven industry.
o Had involvement making safety assessments of systems, including safety critical systems throughout their lifecycle.
o Been key contributors to critical decision making processes, irrespective of the engineering industry.
Depending on the role the responsibilities will include some of the following:
• Act as a technical lead for systems within your area of responsibility
• Provide specialist advice in support of safety analysis’s for systems within your area of your responsibility.
• Participation in identification, selection, evaluation, performance verification and demonstrations of requirements and technical solutions within their technical area.
• Produce and contribute to Engineering Management Plans.
• Provide technical decision making for your system and considering other systems in a project that is in development stage or under in-service support
• Working with supplier and Original Equipment Manufacturers’ to resolve systems issues and integration aspects
• Platform systems integration ensuring your equipment can work effectively with other mechanical systems, command and control, weapons or combat systems
• Provide reports on systems performance and develop improvement plans through analysis enabling judgements to be made on any operational restrictions required.
• Manage systems integration onto a complex platform taking into account technical and non-technical aspects.
Please note that due the nature of security, some of these roles may be restricted to SOLE UK NATIONALS only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Professionally Registered status or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience.
• Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification in a relevant Engineering discipline or relevant experience and application.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience of working in a systems environment, ideally Maritime but could be any complex, regulated industry such as Air, Automotive, Rail or Oil and Gas as examples.
• Ability to work on diverse systems with multi-disciplinary teams and diverse stakeholders.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance - Supervised Practitioner
• Application of Analytical Techniques - Supervised Practitioner
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Making effective decisions
• Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 14th September 2020
Daniel Bone - Senior Delivery Consultant£28,050 - £33,000
||Daniel Bone - Senior Delivery Consultant
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)