Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
The Internal Technical Support (ITS) team is the in-house technical consultancy team for Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), established to reduce our reliance on Private Sector Support (PSS) expenditure across the whole of DE&S. The ITS-ASESS (Acquisition Safety and Environmental Support Services) team is a significant and growing consultancy area, providing the business with Independent Safety and Environmental Audit and Advice services.
The team aims to reduce PSS costs, improve contract/delivery times, and increase consistency by identifying and spreading best practice across DE&S. Additionally, the team promotes skills development, standardises the ‘DE&S Way’, and increases knowledge transfer across DE&S.
The team provides expert level safety and environmental advice and audit consultancy services in support of project and programme activities across all areas of the organisation. As a consultant environmental and/or safety auditor/advisor within the ITS-ASESS team, you will provide audit/advice services to DE&S Delivery Teams, assuring the delivery of safe, environmentally sound and suitable equipment to Front Line Commands.
You will provide audit or advice services in at least one of the DE&S equipment domains (Air, Land, Maritime, Strategic Enablers and Weapons). You will have involvement in scoping, contracting for and delivering against all aspects of System Environmental and/or Safety Management including: aspect and impact analysis; risk assessment; assessing the environmental/safety implications of design changes; and producing or assessing key project environmental and/or safety documentation. These activities will be performed in the context of UK, MOD, and DE&S policy and guidance, and will require an excellent consultancy and communication skill set.
Typical responsibilities of the roles include:
- Scoping fixed price technical consultancy tasks to meet customer needs and ensure deliverable to cost, time and quality
- Managing the delivery of fixed price technical consultancy tasks to customer satisfaction, cost and quality
- Helping the clients solve and deliver against complex environmental/safety challenges and problems
- Providing an independent audit or advisory capability against a catalogue of services to provide best practice and best value to the customer
You will provide current consultancy knowledge and experience, demonstrating an excellent level of stakeholder management and communication skills, and will act as the independent subject practitioner to challenge/support delivery teams and industry partners on best practice, acceptable and proportionate means of compliance, continuous improvement and mitigation techniques.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Engineering experience from within regulated industry (e.g. defence, aerospace, nuclear), ideally supported with relevant qualifications or professional memberships
• Demonstrable and relevant consultancy experience, with the ability to scope and deliver high quality outputs to time and cost against developed programmes of work
• Knowledge, understanding and experience using a range of environmental/safety tools and techniques, with demonstrable track record of employment on/auditing against complex projects
• Practical experience of implementing environmental/safety management systems for products, services or systems, either as part of design or in-service support
• Knowledge and experience of developing environmental/safety bodies of evidence, in support of compelling environmental arguments and environmental cases.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• A Lead Auditor qualification
• Professional registration with a relevant institution
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Application of Analytical Techniques
• Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Managing a quality service
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
James Craig - DE&S Gattica Consultant43,350 - £51,000
||James Craig - DE&S Gattica Consultant
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)