Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Our Integrated Logistics (iLog) function is responsible for the development, management and delivery of new and/or in-service support. The iLog function has professionals whose expertise includes: service delivery management; Integrated Logistic support (ILS), supply chain management; transport/movement; storekeeping/warehouse operations.
Our modelling and analysis team is an essential part of our iLog function; operating as a key sub-functional specialism that guides and interacts a range of teams and domains across DE&S to deliver supply chain systems, modelling, data and metric analysis for Defence Equipment and Support. This 30+ strong rapidly growing team supports all the operational platforms the armed forces use, structuring and interpreting data via a range of complex methodologies to create useful outcomes and recommendations that have a real impact upon our armed forces and their ability to do their jobs safely and effectively.
The successful applicants will lead and ensure the effective delivery of activities within the field of logistics, inventory and supply chain Modelling and Analysis (M&A) across all of DE&S by providing Subject Matter Expertise in the development and application of innovative solutions to complex M&A issues and leading the activities of all DE&S M&A personnel. Your actions in this role will have significant impact upon the availability of military equipment and supply items to frontline commands as ultimately your recommendations will be a key component in shaping DE&S purchasing and supply chain plans; we will buy (or not) items of all kinds ranging from bullet-proof vests to aircraft engines based upon your models.
To succeed and really make a difference in this role; critical thinking, problem solving skills and the ability to critically analyse and interpret data are key. The team handles a wide range of requests and often needs to respond or revise a model on short notice to meet operational needs. Given this, adaptability and the ability to make educated and reasonable assumptions on sometimes incomplete datasets is crucial here so the ability to step back from the individual ‘black and white’ data cases and manage/understand the ‘grey’ areas is invaluable. That said; to excel in this role your style will mix collaboration with independence and intellectual curiosity; being able to run your models and datasets past colleagues for another perspective / revision while having the confidence and capability to make recommendations with the potential for life and death consequences on the frontlines if you get it wrong.
The role is highly varied, one day may find you modelling metrics and data, another peer checking contractor models or conducting whole-life costing reviews, volumetric analysis, initial provisioning and forecasting or requirements planning, economic repair analysis or even examining the sophisticated full supply-line for a given platform that could be as small as a rifle or as large as a jet fighter or even an aircraft carrier.
The team is very diverse in every regard; skills, experience, background, personalities and ideas. They are genuinely accommodating and mindful of a work-life balance, with regular informal social events to foster a collaborative space and rapport with colleagues. There is also opportunity to work remotely (e.g. from home) semi-regularly (typically weekly) once you are established and able to operate independently in the role for those particularly tricky or challenging models/data analysis that require extra focus or attention.
• Lead the activities of all DE&S M&A personnel, including directing and prioritising workload, and identifying relevant training and guidance to enhance teams’ skills and competencies.
• Lead the support of and advise the business on the development and implementation of Defence analysis and modelling policy including simulation.
• Engage with multiple senior stakeholders across the business and other relevant third parties, to influence, support and implement the delivery of Modelling and Analysis strategy, policies and processes.
• Provide subject matter expertise for logistics analysis modelling and simulation techniques across the defence community, implementing the use of best practice where appropriate.
• Provide advice on the relevance and suitability of commercial tools and Defence contractors’ modelling methods, through the continuous development of assessment skills, tools and processes.
• Identify trends and implement appropriate action plans based on the review of analytics and relevant management information to ensure continuous improvement and development of innovative solutions to complex modelling and analysis issues.
• Influence business decisions and development of M&A strategy for OCs and DE&S by providing insights and expert advice.
Previous working experience will help you to excel in this role:
• Good IT literacy and demonstrable experience in / knowledge of modelling systems, inventory systems or managing / interpreting data.
• The ability to see patterns, form connections and take a ‘wide’ or ‘connected’ view to unlock new concepts, challenges, insights etc.
• Enthusiasm and professionalism with a strong work ethic, as well as empathy and good stakeholder (‘customer’) management skills, often when under time pressure or with ‘grey’ data.
• The ability to tailor your communication style to the audience e.g. writing or delivering technical reports to non-technical staff.
• Excellent literacy and numeracy; likely supported by good academic achievement in a relevant area(s).
We would welcome applications from anyone that meets the above criteria. However, it would also be viewed favourably if you have:
• A real passion for data, likely generated by prior experience working with complex information.
• Experience of supply chains and spreadsheet or mathematical modelling.
• Desire to coach, mentor and develop less experienced colleagues.
• Strong attention to detail and an inquisitive mindset.
• Defence or complex logistics environment.
• Well-developed data modelling or Analysis skills. While we would welcome and encourage individuals with experience within the supply and defence space, VMetric and Opus modelling; prior.
• Understanding and implementation of Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) in the defence environment.
• Good understanding of MOD logistics and Engineering / Support Systems.
• Knowledge and experience of both Supply Chain Modelling and Discrete Event Simulation.
• Detailed knowledge of Forecasting Techniques as used with a military environment.
• Experience of using Statistics in the Support arena.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Experience of building and developing Support models using defence Validated and Verified SIM and MIME Modelling Tools and Techniques
• Experience of building Simulations to Test and Develop support solutions
• Experience and implantation of Whole Life Cost modelling across the CADMID cycle
• Experience of developing and delivering SQL based reporting (Teradata / Cognos)
• Experience of building Data Visualisation and devopment of Support based Metrics
Good Knowledge if SCOR and its underling principles
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Systecon Product Range (Opus 10, Catloc, Simlox) and transferrable skills from other MIME Modelling systems or Tools
• Demand Solution Product (DSX) or transferable skills form other SIM modelling or forecasting Tools
• Data Visualisation using (POWER BI), JDA Strategist, Siemens Plan
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Logistic Modelling
• Data stats
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Managing a quality service
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Integrated Logistics (iLog) Function is the integrating Function for Support within DE&S, responsible for the development, management and delivery of in-service support for our front-line command customers. The iLog Function consists of around 2,900 personnel, both civil servants and military, and with a wide range of disciplines ranging from operations management and supply chain management, technical through-life support and logistics delivery, to modelling and analysis and internal continuous improvement consultancy services.
| Job Requirements/
Becky Syms64.600 - £76.000
Defence Equipment and Support
Abbey Wood Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)