Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Location: Bristol / Cumbria
Status: Full Time
Are you a Quality Assurance (QA) Professional seeking an exciting and challenging role?
Would you love to have the opportunity to work on the UK’s leading, most exciting Defence project?
The Royal Navy’s Submarine Service has operated the UK’s Nuclear Deterrent every hour of every day for nearly 50 years, protecting our nation from the most extreme threats. The Submarine Delivery Agency are now recruiting for extraordinary people to help deliver the UK’s next generation of ballistic missile submarines – The Dreadnought Class.
As an experienced Quality Assurance Engineer you will be required to support the Dreadnought Alliance leadership on all quality matters. This Alliance was formed between the Ministry of Defence’s Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), BAE Systems (BAES) and Rolls-Royce (RR).
The successful incumbent in this role will work as a Government Quality Assurance Representative in a fast paced and challenging environment. This opportunity will see you working in a team providing Quality Assurance expertise to support submarine build within the Barrow-in-Furness Shipyard, working closely with Dreadnought customers.
The role will provide assurance through Government Quality Assurance Surveillance (GQAS) that build assurance activities are conducted and meet the necessary requirements of the contract. You must also ensure that Project and Engineering Risks and Opportunities identified within the build environment are effectively mitigated and/or realised.
The team is mainly based at the BAES shipyard, Barrow, but regular travel to Bristol, and other sites around the UK, will be required, therefore candidates may base themselves out of BAES, Barrow, or Abbey Wood, Bristol.
In this post you will lead on the Quality Management Systems with some of the day-to-day responsibilities including:
• Develop and ensure delivery of quality plans for the programme that address the issues, risks and opportunities, including , product assurance through Inspection & Test Plans (ITP), detail Product Verification planning, auditing and continual improvement.
• Provide Quality Assurance advice and independent audit capability to the engineering Teams for a portfolio of projects through design, structure, testing & commissioning phases
• Developing and implementing plans, processes, templates and tools necessary to assure and ensure quality delivery.
• Provide appropriate quality engineering input into the tender and contract award process, including review of the QA, materials and process safety engineering aspects
• Developing and delivering quality engagement plans with suppliers to provide assurances of quality from the supply chain, including supplier audits
• Acting as a Government Quality Assurance Representative (GQAR), you will undertake audits and surveillance as well as product/engineering investigations into quality failures
• Compile a Surveillance Plan to address Quality related risks associated with the Dreadnought Alliance Programme
• Management of Performance Indicators and Management Information regarding to all Quality activities to the Quality, Safety & Environmental Management (QSEM) & Join product verification groups (JPVG)
• Identifying root causes of quality issues and ensure effective corrective actions are identified, implemented and managed to prevent recurrence.
• Working closely with a wide stakeholder group advising, identifying and mitigating risk
• Applying quality contractual requirements, constraints and guidance
• Assessing quality performance of suppliers and their ability to meet requirements
• Communication across the Dreadnought Alliance stakeholder at all levels
• Provide input into the development, review and implementation of Dreadnought Alliance policies, procedures and specifications as required and promote best practice and lessons learned
Due to security requirements this post is only open to SOLE UK NATIONALS.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• HND level or can demonstrate suitable experience in a Quality Assurance environment.
• Experienced ISO 9001 Auditor with the relevant certification or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience to achieve within 12 months.
• Experienced in auditing and root cause analysis techniques.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Applying JSP940 MoD Quality Policy, which is applied across MOD organisations for the assurance of acquisition, engineering and logistics support in delivery of Defence Capability.
• Strategic Systems Knowledge and experience, or other Defence Programme Quality experience.
• Good understanding of Submarines Solutions Quality requirements or Extensive previous experience in a similar Quality Assurance position.
• CQI (Chartered Quality Institute) membership.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Quality Improvement
• Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
•An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
This role, if based at Barrow, offers successful applicants the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000
Internal Applicants: Internal Applicants will be eligible for full relocation expenses.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Daniel Bone - Senior Delivery Consultant£38,250 - £45,000
||Daniel Bone - Senior Delivery Consultant
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood / Barrow-in-Furness
Bristol / Cumbria
LA14 1AF / BS34 8JH
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)