Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
An exciting opportunity exists within DE&S Maritime Combat Systems (DE&S MCS) as the Fleet Wide Combat Management Systems Chief Engineer (FWCMS-CE).
As part of a wider multi-disciplinary FWCMS Delivery Team, you will be Head of Delivery Management chain for circa 10 staff, providing effective engineering and safety Leadership for a wide range of Combat System equipment and networks across most of the Royal Navy (RN) Surface Fleet delivering affordable, safe and available Combat Systems.
You will also be managing the engineering elements and outputs of the £193m JSS2 Contract as well as defining the scope of the replacement contracting vehicle.
This is a Safety Responsible post, and so evidence of holding previous safety delegation would be desirable. On appointment to the position, you will be required to undergo an assessment in order to be judged competent to hold the Safety Responsible delegation.
Our Fleet Wide Combat Management Systems Chief Engineer will have a strong background in Electronics, Software & Networks; Ship safety Management; Air Integration experience & MAA regulation; CMS Integration experience in accordance with Def Stan 21-88; Maritime Common Support Model processes and software configuration change management.
Please note that due to the nature of teh projects involved, this role is open to Sole UK Nationals only.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Lead the FWCMS engineering contribution for the Queen Elizabeth Class Combat Management System (CMS), Air Traffic Control system (ATC) and the on-board networks (Internal Network Electronics). As Chief Engineer you will be at the heart of a pivotal time in the development of the Carrier CMS capability, managing packages of changes requiring software and hardware updates whilst ensuring the systems remain safe, secure and available.
• Leading a diverse team, your assignment will cover a wide range of responsibilities including ratifying engineering changes, delivering the contracted programme schedules and producing sign off on Certificates of Clearance for Use (CCUs). This will require working closely with Navy Command, contractors and equipment authorities across both DE&S and ISS.
• Delivery to service and Fleet role out of the new and high-profile Oceanographic Reconnaissance Combat Architecture (ORCA) on Mine Warfare vessels, delivering open systems architecture for future exploitation.
• You will directly influence how CMS evolves within the RN to become a software driven application along with the rollout of Shared Infrastructure, working closely with the NCHQ customer and other key stakeholders, enabling a significant step change in delivery of future technology for the Royal Navy
• Provide ongoing expert Engineering Support for a range of obsolescent Master Equipment.
• Roll out of Shared Infrastructure to T45 Platform.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Relevant Level 6 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience within an engineering environment / industry
• Wide-ranging depth and breadth of technical experience in own specialism with knowledge and application of Systems Engineering approaches and experience of integrating technically complex systems.
• Chartered or Incorporated Engineer – or be suitably qualified and experienced to achieve Chartered status within 12 months
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Ideally a member of a relevant Professional Engineering/Science Institute or equivalent body
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Decision Making
• Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
•An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Gemma Carney - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist£47,600 - £56,000
||Gemma Carney - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)