Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Are you a Systems Engineering professional seeking an exciting and challenging role?
The SDA (Submarine Delivery Agency) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Systems Engineer, to help shape the future forces the Royal Navy deploys into the underwater battlefield and introduce new technologies into service.
As part of the SDA’s Autonomy Unit, you will explore novel ways in which Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, and other Maritime Autonomous Systems, can contribute to meeting the Royal Navy’s underwater capability requirements. This will involve liaising with customers, concept designers, the science and technology community across the MOD (Ministry of Defence) and industrial suppliers, to foster a holistic system-of-systems approach to capability and help focus technology into practical, cost-effective, battle winning, autonomous underwater solutions.
The Autonomy Unit works closely with the SDA’s forward design group and technology cell, whose work is primarily aimed at manned submarines. These groups support one another, and part of the role will be to promote the use of Systems Engineering-based approaches across these groups and wider within the Submarine Delivery Agency.
Due to security requirements this post is only open to SOLE UK NATIONALS.
As the Senior Systems Engineer and Deputy Team Leader, you will maintain logical, requirement-led thinking and problem solving to the consideration of underwater autonomy in a military context. The responsibilities of the role will include, but not be limited to:
• Providing professional engineering support to the SDA Autonomy Unit, its customers and stakeholders.
• Establishing a structured methodology to considering underwater autonomy as part of an overall underwater force structure.
• Liaising with the Autonomy Unit and stakeholders to better understand the challenges of applying autonomy to the underwater battlefield and to progress the required unpinning technology and systems-systems integration.
• Assisting customers in establishing a delivery strategy which includes a logical approach to building confidence in the use of applying autonomy to increasingly challenging roles within the underwater battle space.
• Considering different approaches to the delivery of autonomous functions and the balance of on-board automation, communication demand and off-board decision making of an overall system-of-systems.
• Assisting in the establishment of functional and physical requirements and inter-dependencies between the autonomous vehicle and other elements, and the provision of assurance of consistency between these the elements.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• A minimum of Level 6 qualification (e.g. BEng) in Systems Engineering OR another engineering discipline with significant Systems Engineering content, OR extensive and relevant Systems Engineering experience.
• Demonstrable expertise in the application of Systems Engineering disciplines to concept formulation.
• Experience in the practical application of autonomy in challenging environments.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Chartered Engineer with a recognised Systems Engineering, Mechanical or Electrical professional institute, or the capability to become Chartered within 12 months.
• Experience in the application of autonomy in underwater systems.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
• Technical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received by 11:55 pm on Monday 9th November 2020
Daniel Bone - Senior Delivery Consultant46,700 - £56,000
||Daniel Bone - Senior Delivery Consultant
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)