Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our Armed Forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's Armed Forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
The DE&S Airworthiness Team is looking for an experienced aircraft engineer to join the Certification Centre of Excellence. This role provides an exciting opportunity to drive change and deliver improved ways of working in a field where your skills and knowledge will be highly valued. Established to develop the competence of the DE&S community, the Certification team provides policy, rules and guidance to Delivery Teams across the DE&S Air Environment (Air Support, Combat Air and Helicopters Operating Centres).
You will use your experience of Certification to help Delivery Teams deliver safe aircraft to the front-line through the robust certification of new aircraft and in-service design changes. You will engage with a wide range of stakeholders from those with no previous experience through to senior engineering managers so good communications skills will be really important. You will also have an opportunity to influence regulation and standards through regular engagement with the Military Aviation Authority. The post will provide the opportunity to utilise your specialist acquired knowledge and experience whilst working across multiple projects covering the majority of the UK military’s air inventory, from the Chinook helicopter to the A400M Atlas to Unmanned Air Systems and the F-35B Lightning II.
• Acting as focal point for aircraft certification advice and guidance for Delivery Teams within the DE&S Air Environment.
• Development of consistent and coherent processes that deliver effective, safe & efficient aircraft Certification in accordance with relevant regulations.
• Engagement with the Military Aviation Authority, on regulation, standards and policy relating to aircraft Certification.
• Providing direct support to Delivery Teams at critical points in their programmes and providing assurance to senior leadership.
• Leading in the development and maintenance of practical and accessible tools, training and guidance for the user community.
• Supporting the Certification Community of Interest Forum as an opportunity for sharing and developing good practice.
• Identifying suitable learning and development opportunities to raise the competence of the community.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Experience of the Certification of military or civil aircraft acquired across a range of projects.
• A good working knowledge of military or civil aircraft certification specifications.
• Membership of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body, Engineering Institute (min IEng).
• Have a minimum of a Level 5 NQF in a relevant engineering or science discipline or relevant equivalent experience.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience of the practical application of the Military Air systems Certification Process (MACP).
• Have an in-depth knowledge of Airworthiness Regulations, including the MAA’s Regulatory Publications
• Be comfortable engaging diverse stakeholder groups to develop solutions to engineering-related problems
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Decision Making
• Improve Engineering Capability
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Seeing the big picture
• Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received before 11:55 pm on Sunday 8th November 2020.
Abi Bendinger 37,400 - £44,000
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)