Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We currently have two exciting positions available within DE&S/SDA for Senior Project Managers based at HMNB Devonport. The Project Management team at DE&S is critical to delivering agreed projects or service outputs to scope, on budget and on time. We currently are looking to recruit into two separate teams at Devonport, the Naval Ship Support (NSS) Programme team with DE&S and the Superintendent Submarines organisation within the SDA. Both positions are specialist and are essential to ensure that our vital assets are able to go to sea when and where the Royal Navy need them - fit and capable to carry out their responsibilities on behalf of the Nation.
As a key part of the NSS, your role with see you become the interface between the NSS Naval Ship Support Programme and our industry partner based on-site in Devonport - ensuring that our programmes are deliverable and workstreams are levelled as part of the wider Joint Strategic Programme board.
Specialising within the Superintendent Submarines organisation will see you specialising in delivery of maintenance and refit for all classes of the Royal Navy's fleet of complex in-service submarines - both the Trafalgar Class and Astute Class. Teamwork and collaboration are vital within this position ensuring projects are on time, in budget and to high quality.
These positions will see you being based on-site at Devonport, one of our most impressive locations where you will be able to witness first-hand the output of your project/programme delivery. You will form part of a multi-disciplinary team including both military and civilian personnel, working with significant value projects/programmes and leading a team within Project Management.
This is a senior position within the Project Management team with excellent opportunities to keep progressing and developing your career; you will also have the opportunity to be involved with the apprenticeship schemes whilst championing career development throughout the Project Management team - ensuring the success of the future of the SDA and DE&S.
Due to security requirements, one of these posts will be reserved for sole UK Nationals only.
As a Senior member of the Project Management team you will be responsible for leadership, stakeholder management and holding the company to account. Your other responsibilities may include:
• Responsible for meeting budgets within all In-Year and longer-term accounting periods EPP, Equipment Support Funding. Lead and ensure that the wider financial (and resource) profiles are driven from the activities in the project schedule and the Work Breakdown Structure.
• Responsible for embedding and adhering to all governance and policy and enable the required compliance throughout their team, ensure appropriate challenge and gain approval to deviate when necessary.
• Accountable for establishing, leading and managing high performing multi-disciplinary teams and setting project, change programme
• Agree with the Customer (Royal Navy) exactly what we can safely achieve in the time frame, ensuring the balance of capability and availability. Ensuring the objective, requirements and the means of acceptance in line with Defence Lines of Development
• Accountable for the delivery of projects and supporting project documentation and requirements within the performance/cost/time envelope for a sub-portfolio or complex project. This includes ensuring the most cost-effective means of delivery whilst mitigating risk.
• Drive the timely establishment of contracts with Commercial Officers to enable the required contractual contribution from industry. Deliver project requirements, sustain and leverage value through the monitoring and management of contract performance against commitments (product and services) and meet our own obligations under the contract.
• Responsible for supporting an open, honest, no blame culture and working closely with the company. Actively discussing failures and shortfalls positively drawing through learning from experience and enacting mitigations and engaging with project management as a whole to mitigate wider occurrence.
• Champion career management and proactively support the wider development of the project management community.
Some team specific responsibilities may include -
• Being the Naval Ship Support Agent at the waterfront - attending governance and assurance type forums and providing assurance to the NSS Head of Programme is well managed at the waterfront.
• Ensuring wider Devonport infrastructure projects are de-conflicted with plans for the complex warships support programme so that risk and programme management decisions can be made.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Experience of leading and managing complex projects
• Experience of leading a team through significant change
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Any of the following: APM PMQ/MSP/PRINCE2, MAPM ChPP or RPP, relevant Post-Graduate qualification i.e. MSc (Project Management), PLP.
• Working at programme level
• Identification and management of complex risk in support of either projects or programmes
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a Project
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Seeing the big picture
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Parking is available at this site.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation’s future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste into your browser for further information: https://des.skillstream.co.uk/des/reqCreateCv?job_id=894
Molly Brett - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist46,750 - £55,000
||Molly Brett - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)