Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
The SDA Principal Naval Overseers (PNO) are a team of circa 50 staff, predominantly engineers, providing independent assurance to their project team clients (Dreadnought Alliance and Submarine Production - Astute Class), that submarine build activities meet the necessary requirements of the contract. It also falls on the PNO team to ensure that Project and Engineering Risks and Opportunities identified within the build environment are effectively mitigated and/or realised.
PNO undertake risk-based surveillance of vessels during build and provide waterfront and build support/advice to delivery teams. The team ensure correct standards are maintained by promoting the Governance, Assurance and Improvement (GAI) of acquisition, engineering and logistics support activities.
We have two new positions for Quality Assurance Engineers who will be expected to advise on engineering quality assurance matters and help resolve complex engineering and process issues.
You will need to define quality assurance requirements, manage solution development and ensure compliance with the customers’ requirements, both in design and the as build product. These assignments are an integral interface to our supply base, ensuring solutions meet the needs and requirements of the Armed Forces.
We are keen to speak with candidates with Quality Assurance experience to join the PNO department in one of two teams:
Working for the Quality Improvement Assurance Team as our Quality Assurance Engineer you would carry out activities such as:
• Conducting proactive process compliance quality assurance/surveillance activities on BAES activities across the entire site at Barrow.
• Identify and manage quality risks that impact both Dreadnought and Astute submarine build programmes. Monitor and support the BAES managed Quality Improvement Programme, measuring progress and effectiveness.
• Conducting internal audits of PNO process compliance and effectiveness of activity and providing oversight of BAES quality investigations, ensuring PNO quality and technical considerations are appropriately represented and adequately addressed
If working for the Astute Quality Assurance (AQA) Team as our Quality Assurance Engineer you would carry out activities such as:
• Conducting proactive product quality assurance/surveillance activities across both Astute and Dreadnought Submarine programmes at Barrow
• Undertaking PNO independent assurance, ensuring the prime contractor policies, procedures and quality plans are effective in meeting SDA stakeholder expectations, therefore removing variation, minimising submarine operational risk and maximising the prime sub-contractor’s quality efficiency
• Conducting regular Conditions management activities on Submarines and facilities to ensure that the appropriate level of care and protection cleanliness and adherence to MOD requirements have been fully met by the prime subcontractor during build.
• Being proactive in product quality assurance/surveillance activities with regard to major submarine key events such as Launch, Trim and Incline and Reactor testing; Providing assurance that all appropriate 1st Level and safety measures have been fully embodied by the prime contractor.
• Ensuring appropriate assurance activities that enable the flow down of customer and SDA stakeholder requirements to be effectively implemented across both submarine programmes, identifying product and programme risks, failures and non-conformances. Additionally, ensuring all appropriate correction and corrective actions to prevent re-occurrence have been fully embodied
Please note that due to the Projects involved, these roles are open to Sole UK Nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Member of a relevant Professional Quality / Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body.
• Level 4 (or higher) qualification relevant to Quality / Engineering / Science.
• Proven record of Quality Assurance experience and demonstrable experience of providing technical/quality advice and delivery of successful outcomes.
• Hold a nationally recognised Quality Assurance qualification
• Having a nationally recognised Auditor qualification
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Risk Management
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Seeing the big picture
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This role, if based at Barrow offers successful applicants the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000.
Internal Applicants: Internal candidates will be eligible for full relocation expenses.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received before 11:55 pm on Monday 16th November 2020.
Gemma Carney 28,050 - £33,000
Defence Equipment and Support
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)