Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Would you love the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s leading Defence Technical Projects and Programmes, supporting our Armed Forces in current and future operations?
Are you fascinated by cutting edge weapon technology and excited by the chance to work first hand with rocket launch systems, laser technology, fire control systems, targeting software and light guns?
DE&S are offering the exciting opportunity for a candidate who has an interest to become a Weapons Engineer to join their team. You will become the focal point and the customer's first choice, for independent safety and suitability for service advice and guidance. This will cover all areas of Ordnance, Munitions, Explosives and Lasers, across Air, Land and Sea domains.
This is a specialist role and an ideal opportunity for a candidate with OME awareness and knowledge to develop new and exciting skills. If you have these attributes, combined with a talent for communicating, influencing and embracing change, then please do not hesitate to apply.
If successful in this position, you will be required to support the definition of technical requirements, the management of solution development, and ensuring compliance with customer requirements. You will be influential in resolving technical complex engineering problems, demonstrating your knowledge and experience in engineering projects. This role will encompass elements of planning, performance reporting, and the development of people on specific assignments within the Land Domain. As a result, you will enhance your skills and subject matter knowledge to help DE&S ensure that the armed forces can operate in the most demanding environments.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, this role is reserved for UK Nationals only.
•Deliver advice and guidance regarding the Safety and Suitability for Service of OME systems. This could include trial plans, design changes, assurance statements and much more.
• Keep up to date with OME developments, options, and opportunities for application within the business, and provide advice on the application of existing OME technologies to new or different uses.
• Provide guidance on OME Safety Management Systems,
• Ensure that DE&S and other MOD customers comply with statutory and MOD regulations, safety standards and best practice, in relation to the management of their Explosives Facilities, Military Laser Systems and associated activities as part of their business
• Provide assurance to DE&S and the Regulator by supporting the safety review panel, providing objective, evidence-based independent assurance on OME safety /safety management to enable delivery teams to assess and manage OME Safety risk.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
• Knowledge and awareness of OME
• Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Safety Management Experience
• Military experience or knowledge
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Application of Analytical Techniques
• Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Making effective decisions
• Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the Armed Forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 29th November 2020
Kirsty Cobb - DE&S Talent Acquisition£28,050 - £33,000
||Kirsty Cobb - DE&S Talent Acquisition
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)