Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Exciting engineering opportunities have become available for candidates to support Surface Ships and Submarines within Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) and the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA). This diverse Maritime area encompasses expertise across ‘Electronics and Sensors’, ‘Systems and Integration’ and ‘Computer Engineering’ within the Surface Ship Combat Systems or In-Service Submarines Platform Chief Engineers teams.
If selected for the SDA; the roles contribute to maintaining safe systems across all In-service, build and future platforms and play a fundamental role in engineering and safety decision making. The focus of these roles will be to maintain operation of in-service submarines as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and Design Authority for a range of complex Control & Indication and platform systems.
Those successful for a Surface Ship role you will work in one of our Combat Systems teams; a Combat System draws intelligence from various sensors, providing information on aspects such as navigation, meteorology, weapons, ship’s information and messaging systems, Integrated Platform Management systems, and communication systems. The inputs from these sensors are controlled through complex command and control systems, which have a significant reliance on software and are, therefore, vulnerable to cyber-attacks that can endanger intelligence and safety.
A Combat System draws intelligence from various sensors, providing information on aspects such as navigation, meteorology, weapons, ship’s information and messaging systems, Integrated Platform Management systems, and communication systems. The inputs from these sensors are controlled through complex command and control systems, which have a significant reliance on software and are, therefore, vulnerable to cyber-attacks that can endanger intelligence and safety.
Successful candidates will be required to carry out a variety of tasks within this application area, the highest demand being in roles ensuring the integration of new or replacement equipment, such as a radar or communications system, into existing platforms. This must be achieved whilst ensuring that other legacy equipment can continue to operate safely and securely.
You will have the ability to bring complex systems together into an integrated platform. As safety is key to Defence, experience from within a heavily-regulated engineering environment, such as Air, Automotive, Rail, Nuclear, Maritime (Commercial or Military) or Weapons, would be of particular interest.
Please note that some of these posts will be open to sole UK nationals only.
Responsibilities of these roles may include, but not be limited to the following:
• Working on the Command and control system, ensuring that all equipment can interface
• Ensuring that there is a robust upgrade plan that stakeholders can contribute to, to ensure that security and safety is maintained and legislation is implemented
• Working to resolve operational technical defects through advising the ship’s crew of testing procedures
• Working with the logistics function and industry to identify spare units or workarounds, depending on operational priority and safety assessment
• Working on acquisition programmes to oversee all of the equipment provided, to ensure the performance of the overall platform is achieved in a cost-effective solution
• Supporting the technical acquisition process, by reviewing industry submissions and supporting production of technical contractual documentation
• Developing and providing subject matter expert advice
• Reviewing and proposing equipment design changes
• Working within the Design Authority for a range of on-board systems
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• A minimum of Level 4 (HNC) Electrical/Electronic Systems Engineering (or similar) qualification OR suitable relevant experience
• Experience in Electronics and Sensors, Systems Integration, and/or Electrical/Electronic Interfaces
• Understanding of technical risk analysis and risk based decision making
• Demonstrable experience providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
• Experience working with suppliers, contractors, subject matter experts and/or shareholders
• An understanding of the principals of engineering management
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Level 6 (e.g. BEng) qualification in Electronic Systems Engineering
• Stakeholder management experience
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Risk Management
• Technical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Seeing the big picture
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received before 11:55 pm on Sunday 29th November 2020
James Craig28,050 - £33,000
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)