Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Do you have an Aeronautical/Aviation background and eager for a new challenge?
Do you want to work in an environment where your skills will make a direct impact on protecting the country whilst giving you the flexibility to manage both your work and home life balance together?
If so, DE&S have an exciting opportunity for you to join their Merlin Team as a Mission Systems Engineer.
Part of the Director Helicopters Operating Centre, the Merlin Delivery Team (DT) is located primarily at the site of the Team’s Prime Contractor Leonardo Helicopters (LH) in Yeovil. The Merlin DT manages the fleet of Merlin Helicopters for the Royal Navy which includes In-Service Support and new procurement projects. In carrying out its key objective to support the Front Line Command, Merlin DT manages a major portfolio of complexed support and acquisition projects to sustain existing capabilities to their out-of-service dates and to deliver new capabilities.
As part of the Avionics Engineering Authority, this post primarily involves working with the in-service capability and development of the Merlin helicopter mission systems. This includes the Mk2 Anti-Submarine Warfare Capability, as well as CROWSNEST that is currently still in development.
In order to be successful in this role, it is imperative that you understand the purpose of these systems, and the hazards associated with them. You must also have the ability to build strong relationships across internal MoD boundaries and industry.
•Manage engineering technical requirements, including definition, architecture, integration, contract assessment and change management.
• Development and maintenance of system requirements including in-service support.
• Provide specialist advice on the application of safety and environmental management systems.
• Determine quality management and assurance approaches and ensure technical risks are understood and managed.
• Participate in identification, selection, evaluation, performance verification and demonstrations within your technical area.
• Produce and contribute to Engineering Management Plans.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• HND/NVQ Level 4 qualification in an Engineering/Science related discipline OR substantial equivalent work experience
• Experience of working within a highly regulated environment such as military aviation
• Demonstrable understanding of the principles of radar, sonar and aircraft electrical systems.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience of working within a military Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisation or Type Airworthiness Authority.
• Qualification and/or experience relevant to Platform Systems Engineering – Aerospace Avionics.
• Qualifications and/or experience relating to Quality Assurance.
• Experience of Electronic Warfare, General Aircraft Systems or Maritime Aviation
• Experience of Reliability Analysis, Project Management or Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Techinical Risk Management
• Techinical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Abi Bendinger - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist28,050 - £33,000
||Abi Bendinger - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
DE&S Leonardo Helicopters, Yeovil
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)