Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our Armed Forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's Armed Forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Would you love the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s leading Defence Technical Projects and Programmes, supporting our Armed Forces in current and future operations?
Are you fascinated by cutting edge weapon technology and excited by the chance to work first hand with rocket launch systems, laser technology, fire control systems, targeting software and artillery gun systems?
The Land Domain at DE&S are looking for Systems Engineers to join their team and are offering the unique opportunity to work across a breadth of projects, from artillery systems, to infantry fighting vehicles to Challenger 2 Tanks. If you have been involved in high tech safety critical decision making roles, irrespective of which engineering industry, then please do not hesitate to apply. This role will be specifically working within the Lightweight and Medium Attack Systems team (LMAS) who deliver short and medium range air-launched anti-surface weapons to the Armed Forces.
If successful in this position you will be required to support the definition of technical requirements, the involvement of solution development, and ensuring compliance with customer requirements. You will be influential in resolving technical complex engineering problems, demonstrating your knowledge and experience in engineering projects.
Please be advised that due to security, this post is reserved for Sole UK Nationals only.
Using your engineering proficiency you will lead delivery of engineering expertise. You may be required to provide detailed systems engineering support or manage technical risk in a specific phase of the acquisition life cycle or both within an Engineering assignment. Elements of the assignment could see you leading system engineering, evaluation, performance verification and demonstrations related to your technical area; keeping abreast of developments and developing options, and opportunities for application within the business.
You will be responsible to adopt to new ways of working, demonstrating diverse and flexible approaches to challenges, working in collaborative situations and maintaining a right first-time approach to solution implementation.
Duties will also include:
• Development of requirements relating to your area of specialism, including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications
• Involvement of Training, Support, Security and Safety
• Ensuring value for money whilst delivering cutting edge capability to the military across all domains
• Ensuring equipment aligns with the military’s wider support processes training.
• Responsibility for the integration, testing, evaluation and acceptance of the engineering plan
• Platform systems integration with weapons systems
• Working with DOORS Requirements Management Tool
• Provide advice and guidance in your technical area to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks
• Monitor any governance and assurance policies and procedures
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Systems Engineer experience in an engineering specialism
• Experience of providing technical advice and supporting the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
• Working towards obtaining Professionally Registered status or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Weapons systems and using systems engineering/requirements management tools such as DOORS
• Defence knowledge and/or experience
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Requirement, evaluation and acceptance
• Application of analytical techniques
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received before 11:55 pm on Sunday 29th November 2020.
Kirsty Cobb28,050 - £33,000
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)