Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We currently have multiple exciting vacancies available across both DE&S and SDA for Estimators based out of MOD Abbey Wood.
The SDA (Submarine Delivery Agency) is responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. The SDA's work is of unparalleled strategic importance and delivers some of the most technically complex programmes in Defence.
Project Controls within DE&S (Defence Equipment & Support) & the SDA (Submarine Delivery Agency) is critical to delivering the agreed project or service outputs to scope, on budget, and on time. We are the eyes, ears, and conscience of every project, and our people are integral to the success of DE&S. Being part of Project Controls means you have a will have a vital role to play whilst also having access to a variety of rewarding career paths based on your personal aspirations.
Project Controls is formed of a team of professionals including Cost Estimating, Cost Engineering, Cost Control (Finance), Risk & Opportunity Management, Planning & Scheduling, and Project Controls Managers.
Projects are undertaken in a variety of exciting and challenging areas supporting programmes that may include next generation aircraft, unmanned vehicles, complex weapons, artillery systems, submarines, ships, digital, cyber, or space projects.
Due to security requirements, posts may be reserved for sole UK Nationals only.
Our Estimating teams are an essential part of Project Controls; operating as a key specialism delivering robust estimating, cost modelling, and data analysis. As an Estimator, you will provide often complex cost estimating solutions, structuring and interpreting data using a range of methodologies to create useful management information and recommendations for our customers to inform decision making. You will be responsible for leading delivery of cost estimates and ensuring all appropriate cost scope is captured, represented, controlled, maintained and assured. Working closely with a range of suppliers and stakeholders, you will be responsible for providing estimating guidance and ensuring cost estimate outputs are interpreted correctly and communicated clearly to help drive robust investment decisions.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Project Controls team within DE&S/SDA, and to be successful you will require critical thinking, problem solving skills and the ability to analyse and interpret data. Estimators handle a wide range of requests and often need to respond at short notice; adaptability and the aptitude to make robust assumptions is vital. Part of your responsibilities will involve being able to understand the whole life costs of a project, which may use novel technologies at the point of inception, understanding and applying different estimating techniques such as comparative and parametric. Working with multi-million-pound projects across the portfolio, your estimator experience and input is vital. Other responsibilities will include -
• Lead on engaging with and delivering estimating products for high value projects via utilising a range of estimating tools, techniques and methodologies
• Lead and deliver complex cost estimates and Cost Models and associated bespoke feeder models
• Analyse data from sources across SDA / DE&S, international partners and its defence suppliers to support bench-marking and production of robust complex cost models.
• Train and develop teams to build capability and aid cost estimating understanding amongst stakeholders
• Leading and developing a team of Project Controls staff
• The ability to think critically, problem-solve, critically analyse and interpret data and communicate findings to stakeholders
• Adaptability and the ability to make educated and reasonable assumptions on sometimes incomplete data sets and respond rapidly to change.
• Manage and prioritise forward work plans, assigning correct personnel to each task
• Work alongside a wide range of stakeholders within DE&S, the MOD and externally, discussing complex data in a way that is easy to interpret with clear recommendations
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Significant experience of cost estimating in a project/programme environment
• Broad understanding of one of the following - Risk Management / Cost Control / Planning & Scheduling
• Experience reviewing and approving estimates for projects, including the Basis of Estimate (BoE)
• Experience of leading teams or engagements
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Knowledge and experience which meets the standards required to attain full membership of APM (or equivalent) and certified membership of ICEAA or ‘Incorporated’ accreditation of ACostE.
• Knowledge of Governments Aqua Book, the Defence sector and of analysis tools and techniques.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a Project
• Stakeholder Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Parking is available at this site.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across DE&S, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste he following into your browser for further information:
Molly Brett - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist45,900 - £54,000
||Molly Brett - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)