Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), was formed on 3rd April 2017 from the Submarine Operating Centre within the MOD’s Defence Equipment & Support organisation. As of April 2018, it assumed status as an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence and will employ 1,200 highly qualified professionals with significant subject matter expertise.
As a standalone entity within the MOD, the SDA has been created as a high-performing organisation, bringing together existing expertise with heightened managerial, commercial and procurement capability to ensure the excellence and cost-efficient delivery of the UK’s nuclear submarine assets for decades to come. In addition to procuring the replacement of the current Vanguard class with its successor, Dreadnought, the organisation also manages the in-service aspects of the Astute class submarines and its follow-on vessel. The SDA is also responsible for the decommissioning and disposal of the Trafalgar class submarines and, in the longer term, other submarines taken out of service.
Our Project Management function is tasked with the delivery of equipment and support in order to meet our agreed outputs. The expertise within Project Management includes: project, programme & portfolio management (P3M) across the acquisition lifecycle including business case, contract and performance management.
As a Project Manager, you will play a pivotal part in the delivery of equipment and services across any of our business areas.
We have available positions in the following areas:
As part of either role, your duties will include:
• Being accountable for project contract and performance management over their life cycle phase(s) (define, delivery, close and support);
• managing the project governance regime and conducting performance / issue management
• Understanding the project costs and responsible for in year management inputs
• Consolidating and documenting the fundamental components of projects (scope, schedule, resource requirements, budgets, risks, opportunities and issues and quality management including establishing and maintaining governance arrangements for delivery of projects)
• Managing and advising multiple stakeholders and customers on complex issues including delivery of strategy, or management of large scale projects
• Significant responsibility for guiding, coaching and nurturing others in a managerial position
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, this role will be open to Sole UK nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Managing projects to time, cost and performance
• Experience of leading and managing a project management team delivering complex projects
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience using Management Information, performance management and establishing and maintaining governance arrangements for the delivery of projects
• Any PM qualification and/or relevant suitable experience
• Demonstrable experience of successfully leading small teams and securing the provision of resources of goods and/or services
• Managing stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests
• An ability to build relations with internal and external partners which are critical in securing the strategic objectives of the business
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a Project
• Industrial Leadership
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation’s future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Kirsty Cobb - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist46,750 - £55,000
||Kirsty Cobb - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
SDA Offices, BAES Barrow-in-Furness
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)