Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
This role is also available at our Bristol site (MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH)
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
As a standalone entity within the MOD, the SDA has been created as a high-performing organisation, bringing together existing expertise with heightened managerial, commercial and procurement capability to ensure the excellence and cost-efficient delivery of the UK’s nuclear submarine assets for decades to come. In addition to procuring the replacement of the current Vanguard class with its successor, Dreadnought, the organisation also manages the in-service aspects of the Astute class submarines and its follow-on vessel. The SDA is also responsible for the decommissioning and disposal of the Trafalgar class submarines and, in the longer term, other submarines taken out of service.
The Dreadnought Alliance is responsible for delivering the Dreadnought Programme, to replace the current Vanguard platforms and maintain Continuous At Sea Deterrence (CASD); consisting of design, build, testing and commissioning of the four new platforms and initial support and training arrangements.
Launched in April 2018, the Dreadnought Programme will be delivered under a new Alliance construct formed between the SDA, BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce. This construct has formed as a result of recommendations outlined in the Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR 2015) - to harness effective working relationships between MOD and industrial partners to improve performance - and is being effected through new commercial arrangements between government and industry and a dedicated organisation.
The MOD, BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce have worked closely together to design and develop this new commercial model to deliver the Dreadnought Programme, and the Alliance will evolve the already established joint working principles between the partners.
Open to UK nationals only.
The Dreadnought Alliance is currently looking for a proactive and hardworking Executive Assistance (EA) to provide support to 2 seniors, the Alliance Finance Director and the Alliance Chief Engineer.
You will be required to provide effective high-quality secretarial support, office management and administration, to ensure the principals conduct their business as efficiently as possible.
The role will stretch your communication skills, problem solving ability, your decision making and management of resources, as well as your strengths in working autonomously, as you will be working with a range of stakeholders to the SDA, the wider MOD and external customers and companies.
The Executive Assistance (EA) will enjoy a varied role, supporting 2 senior staff members with a number of different tasks such as:
• Manage the principal’s diary in an effective and confidential manner. Organise meetings, book venues including checking security clearance of visitors.
• Be proactive in dealing with short/ last minute diary requests and changes.
• Prioritising incoming mail, keeping track of the principal’s tasks, actions and deadlines, delegating actions and tasks where necessary. Distribute emails to management boards and wider team as required.
• Produce and prepare accurate meeting materials on time; including agendas, printing and flagging briefing packs and presentations and when in office ensure these are printed for principal and attendees as required.
• Booking Travel and Accommodation for duty travel and events ensuring to follow guidance and policies to get best value for money.
• Conduct accurate and efficient information management tasks such as filing, expense and managing the hospitality book on behalf of the principals.
• Where appropriate attend meetings with the principals to record minutes and actions.
• Carry out other reactive ad hoc tasks as required by the principals.
• Establish and maintain stakeholder networks across the principal's business contacts and work colleagues (internal and external to the SDA). Work closely with other outer offices within the SDA and across the Alliance.
• Work with the principal to understand their needs and objectives to build a cohesive and efficient working relationship
• Provide in office support by collecting and escorting visitors for meetings/ events. Provide assistance with Video Conferencing systems and IT support
Due to the nature of the role, travel across other locations may be required to provide support when necessary
This role, if based at Barrow offers successful applicants the following:
- External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000
- Internal Applicants: Internal candidates will be eligible for full relocation expenses.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, this role will be open to Sole UK nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria in your CV:
• Diary management experience
• Previous experience in a similar capacity providing support at executive level
• Proficient in grammar, spelling and punctuation
• Skilled in using MS Office Tool such as PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Previous experience working within a complex, fast paced office environment
• Familiarity with a range of video conferencing systems
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Supporting the senior principal
• Diary management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Delivering at pace
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Corporate Services Group (CSG) is pivotal in enabling effective business operations. We are a professional body of people who undertake a diverse range of challenging activities which are integral to Defence procurement and support. CSG are represented in every area of the organisation enabling the successes of DE&S and SDA.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Maddison Smith19,550 - £23,000
Defence Equipment and Support
SDA Offices, BAES Barrow-in-Furness
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)