Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Location: Barrow in Furness
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), was formed on 3rd April 2017 from the Submarine Operating Centre within the MOD’s Defence Equipment & Support organisation. As of April 2018, it assumed status as an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence and will employ 1,200 highly qualified professionals with significant subject matter expertise. As a standalone entity within the MOD, the SDA has been created as a high-performing organisation, bringing together existing expertise with heightened managerial, commercial and procurement capability to ensure the excellence and cost efficient delivery of the UK’s nuclear submarine assets for decades to come. In addition to procuring the replacement of the current Vanguard class with its successor, Dreadnought, the organisation also manages the in-service aspects of the Astute class submarines and its follow-on vessel. The SDA is also responsible for the decommissioning and disposal of the Trafalgar class submarines and, in the longer term, other submarines taken out of service.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the SDA Commercial team in Barrow-in-Furness as a Commercial Manager.
This is an extremely exciting time to join the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) and be part of the U.K’s top priority defence programme within submarine production.
In this role you will be working within Submarine Production Commercial Team who are responsible for managing high value and high profile contracts.
Our Commercial function provides independent professional judgement on commercial and procurement business matters. It is made up of professionals specialising in: commercial strategies; compliance with public procurement regulations; competition; tendering & contracting and commercial risk.
Our Commercial function is also the only function that is contractually allowed to commit taxpayers’ money to support the needs of the Armed Forces. As such, you will find that the levels of responsibility within the SDA are greater than many that you will find within the world of industry and you may hold a commercial delegation of up to £10m.
You will be involved in the management of the Astute Class Submarine build programme, including oversight of the build and commissioning phases for the Royal Navy.
Working at the waterside location you will be responsible for the management and development of a team of commercial professionals working as a specialist within your area.
The SDA is responsible for the UK’s submarine maintenance and build programme; which is one of the UK’s defence top priorities and contains some of the nation’s largest Capital programmes. Working with our key industrial partners, BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and Babcock Marine, we are striving towards delivering submarine capability safely, securely, and more effectively every year.
If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our national security then we want to hear from you.
You will be at the heart of a variety of commercial projects and responsibilities can include:
• Accountable for determining the appropriate commercial strategy for project requirements within own delegation. Drafting the strategy plans, commercial management plans and facilitating/delivering it or making recommendations for action to Senior Leadership, ensuring all contracts adhere to EU procurement regulations and Government policy.
• Lead the development of effective contract and supplier management strategies, for MOD of Category A-D contracts, and ensure all parties are held accountable to meet their contracted obligations to ensure effective delivery of contract requirements.
• Negotiate with Industry on terms and pricing, place and manage contracts and contract amendments up to a maximum delegation of £10M in accordance with set guidelines outlined in the individual’s delegation letter and MOD policy.
• Support negotiation and contract placement above delegation when required and highlight novel and contentious issues to Senior Leadership to ensure satisfactory resolution.
• Managing risk and reward mechanisms within contracts, identifying opportunities to incentivise contract delivery and driving continuous improvement including supplier development
• Lead and manage staff, advising, coaching and developing allocated commercial resource and sharing knowledge and expertise.
• Communicate in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders including Senior Leadership, suppliers and Subject Matter Experts.
• Conduct assurance and due diligence of commercial activity within own area of responsibility in order to provide confidence in commercial outcomes.
• Leading sourcing activities, including evaluating tender documents, taking ownership of decisions and applying commercial expertise and judgement accordingly
• Provide support and assistance to commercial enabling teams to assist delivery and development of SDA Business Improvement.
Due to security requirements this post is only open to SOLE UK NATIONALS.
This is an excellent opportunity to begin or continue your career in the Civil Service. The clear and structured career path within the Commercial function provides many opportunities to develop as we offer an array of training and development opportunities to help our employees develop their skills and experience.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Relevant contract sourcing/contract management or Procurement experience, your commercial experience can be from a career within the public or private sector
• Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office and ability to use IT systems and programmes
• Experience with "end to end" tendering
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Contract Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Making effective decisions
• Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The DE&S SDA Commercial Function is made up of people who provide independent, professional judgement on commercial, procurement and contract management matters to meet the Armed Force’s needs, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and guidance, whilst driving value for the customer. As a member of the Commercial team, you will play a key part in helping to equip and support the armed forces for everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid.
This role, if based at Barrow, offers successful applicants the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000
Internal Applicants: Internal candidates will be eligible for full relocation expenses.
| Job Requirements/
Follow link to apply
Maddison Smith37.400 - £44.000
Defence Equipment and Support
Barrow in Furness
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)