Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our Armed Forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's Armed Forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
An exciting opportunity exists to join our modelling and analysis team, an essential part of our Integrated Logistics function. This is a key specialism that guides and interacts with a range of teams and domains across DE&S to deliver supply chain systems, modelling, data and metric analysis. This 30+ strong rapidly growing team supports all the operational platforms the Armed Forces use, structuring and interpreting data via a range of complex methodologies to create useful outcomes and recommendations that have a real impact upon our Armed Forces and their ability to do their jobs safely and effectively.
The team's recommendations will be a key component in shaping DE&S purchasing and supply chain plans. To succeed and really make a difference in this role; critical thinking, problem solving skills and the ability to analyse and interpret data are key. The team handles a wide range of requests and often needs to respond or revise a model at short notice to meet operational needs. Given this, adaptability and the ability to make educated and reasonable assumptions on sometimes incomplete data is crucial. You will be supported closely by the Senior Team Leaders where needed, as well given the confidence and capability to excel via our extensive and M&A-specific training programme, which is linked to a professional body (the Operational Research Society - ORS).
This will give you the right technical skills to succeed and have a positive impact upon the UK Armed Forces and their supply chain. The team is very diverse in every regard; skills, experience, background, personalities and ideas. They are genuinely accommodating and mindful of a work-life balance, with the opportunity to work remotely (e.g. from home) semi-regularly (typically weekly) once you are established and able to operate independently in the role. While no specific modelling or military / civil experience is required (we will provide significant training), data modelling skills using VBA/SQL, MS Power BI or other ‘Commercially Off The Shelf’ (COTS) modelling software would be considered favourably. Familiarity with SCOR, models, black-box and white box verification techniques would also be viewed positively.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
• Good IT literacy and demonstrable experience in / knowledge of, modelling systems, inventory systems or managing and interpreting data.
• The ability to see patterns, form connections and take a ‘wide’ or ‘connected’ view to unlock new concepts, challenges, insights etc.
• Enthusiasm and professionalism with a strong work ethic, as well as empathy and good stakeholder (‘customer’) management skills, often when under time pressure or with incomplete data
• The ability to tailor your communication style to the audience e.g. writing or delivering technical reports to non-technical staff.
• Excellent literacy and numeracy; likely supported by good academic achievement in a relevant area(s). Ideally applicants will be degree qualified in a science / technical / mathematical subject, however, relevant expertise gained through industry is also acceptable.
• Experience of SQL or transferables coding and data manipulation skills.
• A real passion for data, An ability to processing large amounts of data, likely generated by prior experience working with complex data and information systems.
• Experience of supply chains and spreadsheet or mathematical modelling. Including Systecon product range, Boxarr or other Support / Supply chain modelling tools.
• Ability to Advise on & influence data requirements.
• Ability to design & compile interactive dashboards such as supplier intelligence & supply chain risk reports using reporting tools including Power BI.
• Ability to modify & develop the design of the data model to maximise data coverage & analysis - this includes making amendments to the database structure & designing data templates for the intelligence to be received.
• Present models capability to internal & external stakeholders to ensure the data is being used to its full capacity & gain support for the project.
Due to the nature of the post this requirement is only available to sole UK nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Experience of statistical analysis & modelling
• Operational research techniques
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Data Visualisation
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Data & Stats
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Delivering at pace
• Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Integrated Logistics (iLog) Function is the integrating Function for Support within DE&S, responsible for the development, management and delivery of in-service support for our front-line command customers. The iLog Function consists of around 2,900 personnel, both civil servants and military, and with a wide range of disciplines ranging from operations management and supply chain management, technical through-life support and logistics delivery, to modelling and analysis and internal continuous improvement consultancy services.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 17th January 2021
Nicholas Wills £20,400 - £24,000
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)