Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
You will be working in the Submarine Production / Dreadnought Supply and Support Team, a team established in 2018 to act as the MOD supplier into our customer, the Dreadnought Alliance - a dedicated organisation acting as the Dreadnought Programme Team made up of SDA, BAE and Rolls-Royce personnel. DSST has 2 distinct responsibilities; the delivery of one third of the class’ material to the shipbuilder, BAE; and the Transition into Service of the Class, including the defining and delivery of the Training and Support Solutions as well as the conducting of Sea Trials prior to the submarines’ first patrol. Building on the above, you will be accountable for the maturity and delivery of the MOD schedules inputs into the Alliance Integrated Master Schedule as well as conducting Schedule Risk Analysis, whilst also working with The Alliance to ensure that the Dreadnought dependency management system is maintained, accurate and reported in an effective way so best-for-programme decision making can be implemented across the enterprise. Working in a complex international stakeholder environment you will establish planning and scheduling procedures that will impact other SDA teams and respective supply chains, and must be able to bespoke process in order to satisfy both SDA Business Requirements and that of our customer – awareness of Cobra is desired but not essential. You will have responsibility to lead on the planning of all DSST activity for the totality of the class acquisition and work alongside BAE, Rolls-Royce and The Alliance to ensure that Dreadnought is on Patrol in the early 2030s.
As a Senior Planner you will be responsible for the Planning & Scheduling discipline for the Dreadnought submarine acquisition programme. You will use your extensive knowledge of planning and scheduling to set, manage and maintain project and portfolio performance, interpreting complex data and providing advice on complex issues. You will be responsible for presenting data and influencing senior internal and external stakeholders whilst having leadership and development responsibility for the planners within your business unit, where you will be expected to provide technical guidance, training, auditing and support to guide, coach managers and our supply chain. Your technical knowledge and stakeholder relationship skills will need to be exemplary as you will be supporting project teams, working closely with wider functions and influencing external suppliers. Your work will require you to think ahead, planning the whole class acquisitions to be in accordance with best practice rolling wave principles, integrating the supply chain and internal work to deliver the platforms on time.
• Have in depth experience of Planning methodologies and implementation into large complex projects
• Be skilled and experienced in developing, managing and progressing complex schedules
• You will have a strong understanding of wider Project Controls/management in order to ensure data is captured correctly
• You will have extensive experience in leadership and managing large teams of project professionals
• You will be an excellent communicator - able to build strong working relationships and work collaboratively with wider stakeholders across all areas and levels of the organisation
• Have strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret and generate complex data with the skills to be able to communicate clearly to multiple stakeholders and different levels
• You will have experience in developing others and leading teams to drive improvements in understanding, skills and data integrity
• You will have experience of setting policy and process for planning and scheduling outputs for a business unit
This role will require regular travel to the SDA site in Barrow-in-Furness
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, this role will be open to Sole UK nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful a candidate needs to demonstrate a cross-section of the following vital experience essential criteria:
• Planning and Scheduling in a complex Project and Programme environment with an understanding of Planning and Scheduling methodologies (including APM Project Planning, Monitoring and Control or equivalent)
• Experience of Performance Management / Earned Value Management (APM EVM or equivalent)
• Strong understanding of Cost Control / Estimating and the integration with planning
• Strong understanding of Project Risk management and conducting schedule risk analysis (Oracle PRA preferred)
• Strong Understanding of Change Control Processes
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Extensive experience of managing complex suppliers
• Experience with Oracle Primavera P6 Planning software or other leading planning software
• Strong data analysis skill set
• Proven team management and development skills
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a project
• Stakeholder Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Making effective decisions
• Seeing the big picture
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across SDA, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received before 11:55 pm on Sunday 10th January 2021.
Maddison Smith 62,050 - £73,000
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)