Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our Armed Forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's Armed Forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We are seeking an experienced safety and environmental professional to join the DE&S Engineering Function, based at Boscombe Down, Wiltshire. The Weapons Operating Centre (WOC), in which the position is established, is responsible for the delivery and in-service support of munitions and weapon systems used by the Royal Navy, the Army and the Royal Air Force (including receipt, storage, issue and maintenance at UK MOD depots), as well as the provision of Test & Evaluation services for a wide range of military equipment (not just weapons) by the Trials, Evaluation, Services & Targets (TEST) Project Team. The Test and Evaluation services also include the provision of civilian and military registered aviation services to the military, especially for the Empire Test Pilot School.
The role is to provide assurance of QinetiQ’s delivery of the Long Term Partnering Agreement (LTPA) and Combined Aerial Target Service (CATS), which are service delivery contracts managed by the TEST PT. A Safety Manager is required for this role, due to the significant variety of the capabilities the contracts provide, including legislative and regulation assurance, both from a military and civilian perspective. The successful candidate will also help to administer and develop the TEST Team Safety Management System and provide an audit and assurance function. TEST is overseen by over 13 statutory and internal regulatory bodies, for safety, legislative and regulatory purposes. The majority of the responsibility is placed on QinetiQ, under contract, but the MoD remains accountable, especially for safety and environmental aspects, and hence a comprehensive assurance plan is necessary.
DE&S engineers currently operate within a functional management construct; therefore, deployments to other teams/locations will be required in accordance with the Business need. As a proficient and understanding community, the engineering function encourages the personal and professional development of all its members, to maximise both individual and business opportunities.
To be a successful Safety Manager, you will demonstrate a good knowledge and understanding of the DE&S business (e.g. purpose, strategy, standards, regulatory constraints, structure policy, processes, procedures and tools and their intent). You will also understand the existing and emerging trends and constraints in relation to the engineering function as well as the requirements of the Front-Line Customers. All roles encompass planning, performance reporting, managing the development of business processes and the development of its people.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Developing and administering the TEST Team Safety Management System, undertaking 1st and 2nd Party assurance activity and monitoring corrective actions on the Team and QinetiQ
- Implementing the TEST Safety and Environmental Management Plan, delivering TEST Team’s safety and environmental responsibilities and assuring QinetiQ’s contracted responsibilities
- Assuring the Head of Establishment’s compliance with legislation, regulation and MoD policy across the TEST Team’s area of responsibility
- Monitoring and managing non-compliances owned by the MoD and the contractor and propose solutions
- Developing and implementing processes for the above activities
- Providing SME advice to the contractor on MoD regulations and compliance and liaising directly with regulatory bodies
- Conducting audits across a variety of differing capabilities (e.g. aerodromes, weapons, ranges and facilities) located around the UK.
You must be able to demonstrate the necessary experience to work within and contribute to multi-disciplined project teams. This will include directing available resources to deliver packages of work/services and utilising new and existing technologies whilst interfacing with customers/suppliers. As stated above, although this advert calls for a variety of skills, you must demonstrate the skills and experience to be a deployable Professional II.
You shall demonstrate the necessary experience to undertake the following typical key responsibilities:
- Ensure solutions are clearly defined, integrated, configured, controlled and delivered, including resolution of conflicts and integrations issues
- Conduct planning, management, review and maturity assessment activities
- Ensure risks and opportunities are captured and actively managed
- Review significant portfolio engineering decisions and deliverables
- Understanding of a vast array of legislation, regulation and the purpose of assurance and its various levels
- Primary Delivery Manager for a Senior Administrative Specialist Safety Officer.
We are looking for you to have experience operating as a team member in a complex organisation and you must demonstrate a breadth of experience across multiple disciplines and environments. You must be able to demonstrate that you have the skills and experience to implement a large and / or complex process to meet customer requirements within realistic constraints, whilst having the ability to identify interdependencies between multiple issues in complex delivery environments.
You will also have responsibility for guiding and coaching others whilst building relationships with and dealing regularly with contractors and customers. You must possess the judgement and strength of character to act if a task becomes unsafe or environmentally hazardous.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• A minimum of Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. engineering, aviation, safety or ordnance) or suitable relevant experience from within a regulated industry
• An in-depth knowledge of safety and environmental regulations
• Chartered or Incorporated Engineering or Science professional affiliation or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
• Work experience of safety and environmental roles at a level to ensure you have the breadth and depth of experience
• A successful track record of delivering within major project environments, including assurance, planning, performance reporting and the development of business processes.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Trials and Evaluation experience
• Managing a Safety & Environmental management plan
• Service delivery experience
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Compliance with Policy
• Complies with System Safety requirements
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received before 11:55 pm on Sunday 24th January 2021.
James Craig 39,950 - £47,000
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Boscombe Down
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)