Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Exciting opportunities have become available for candidates to work within the Systems Engineering area of the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) and Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S). This diverse area encompasses several technical areas:
• Systems and Integration
• Electronics and Sensors
• Software and Cyber
You will be qualified and experienced in one-or-more of the above disciplines, with the acumen for in-role development into one-or-more of the other areas.
A System draws intelligence from various sensors, providing information on aspects such as navigation, meteorology, weapons, ship’s information and messaging systems, integrated platform management systems, and communication systems. The inputs from these sensors are controlled through complex command and control systems, which have a significant reliance on software and are, therefore, vulnerable to cyber-attacks that can endanger intelligence and safety. As a Systems Integration Engineer, you could be working across the whole System area, as described, or on any of the parts, making this a challenging role.
If selected for a Ships team in DE&S, the roles contribute to maintaining safe systems across all in-service, build and future platforms, and play a fundamental role in engineering and safety decision making. In Ships, candidates can expect to be assigned to a specific platform Class, for example, our autonomous or Mine Countermeasure vessels, or to a portfolio of equipment or systems, for example, our Communications and Situational Awareness team, covering Radars, Navigation Equipment, Communications, Aviation Interfaces, Command and Control Systems, or other Maritime Combat Systems team. Our engineering projects span the simple to the highly complex, from initial concepts through to manufacture, support in-service and responsible disposal.
The SDA delivers equipment and day-to-day support to the UK’s operational fleet of Trafalgar, Astute and Vanguard Class submarines, delivering the nations Continuous At Sea Deterrent (CASD). The SDA also manages delivery of the in-build submarines programmes for Astute and Dreadnought. There are currently four SDA Systems Integration Engineer opportunities in the Combat Systems, Trident Systems, Dreadnought Alliance and HMNB Infrastructure areas.
Please note that some of these posts are open to sole UK nationals only.
You will be required to carry out a variety of tasks within this application area; the highest demand in roles ensuring the integration of new or replacement equipment, such as a radar, navigation, communications system or other mechanical system, into existing platforms, whilst ensuring that other legacy equipment can continue to operate safely and securely. Other key roles include the following examples:
• Acting as a System Design Authority, using your engineering thinking to become a subject matter expert and support system design assurance
• As lead for a system, ensure its continued functionality through production of technical documentation, clearances for use, design changes, trials and resolution of technical defects
• Taking a systems approach, ensuring that equipment and systems interface and that is a robust capability plan exists that stakeholders can contribute to
• Developing bespoke support solutions with industry suppliers in order to maintain specialist legacy equipment, overcoming challenges such as obsolescence.
• Ensuring security and safety is maintained and appropriate assurance can be given that the system complies with all applicable policy and legislative requirements, including contributing to the development of safety artefacts
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• A minimum of a L4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant Engineering/Science, or extensive relevant experience, ideally within Electronics and Sensors, Software and Cyber, Systems and Integration, and/or Weapons
• Experience within a complex engineering environment
• The ability to bring complex systems together into an integrated platform
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• As safety is key to Defence, experience in a highly regulated engineering environment, such as Air, Automotive, Rail, Nuclear, Maritime or Weapons would be of particular interest
• Professional membership of a relevant Engineering or Science institution, preferably at IEng or CEng level
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
• Technical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
James Craig - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist£37,400 - £44,000
||James Craig - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)