Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The DE&S & SDA Commercial Function is made up of around 1000 people who provide independent, professional judgement on commercial, procurement and contract management matters to meet the Armed Force’s needs, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and guidance, whilst driving value for the customer. As a member of the Commercial team, you will play a key part in helping to equip and support the armed forces for everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid. People in the commercial function provide independent professional judgement on commercial and procurement business matters. It is made up of professionals specialising in: competition; tendering and contracting; contract management; commercial risk and compliance with public procurement regulations.
We are currently looking for a Commercial Manager to provide leadership within the Commercial team in DE&S. Our Commercial Manager roles include contract management, sales and disposals. You will work collaboratively with other functions in the Project Delivery teams to provide leadership of a complex contract or portfolio of contracts, manage delivery of business and commercial outputs to deliver business requirements. Other Commercial roles can also include those within DE&S/SDA Corporate Commercial, for example supporting Function activities with Assurance and Training or Commercial Business Improvement.
The position sits alongside two other commercial staff, commercially supporting Defence Marine Services (DMS), a Navy Command led team, with the contract management of two contracts, the Future Provision of Marine Services (FPMS) PFI and the Range Safety and Aircrew Training (RSACT) Contracts.
These contracts deliver Defence’s key Marine Services outputs to a plethora of Defence customers, and include in port waterfront services such as tugs for ship movements, ferry operations, movements of explosive, lighterage and barges; plus out of port training and exercise support; and maintenance and replacement of moorings and navigation marks.
• Accountable for determining the appropriate commercial strategy for project requirements within own delegation. Drafting the strategy plans, commercial management plans and facilitating/delivering it or making recommendations for action to Senior Leadership, ensuring all contracts adhere to EU procurement regulations and Government policy.
• Lead contract management for MOD of Category A-D contracts and ensure all parties are held accountable to meet their contracted obligations to ensure effective delivery of contract requirements.
• Develop and deliver Pre-Qualification Questionnaire (PQQ), Invitation To Tender (ITT) and contract documentation ensuring adherence with MOD policy and legislation.
• Negotiate terms and pricing, place and manage contracts and contract amendments up to a maximum delegation of £10M in accordance with set guidelines outlined in the individual’s delegation letter and MOD policy.
• Support negotiation and contract placement above delegation when required and highlight novel and contentious issues to Senior Leadership to ensure satisfactory resolution.
• Communicate in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders including Senior Leadership, suppliers and Subject Matter Experts.
• Lead/ manage staff where required, advising, coaching and developing Commercial Assistants and Commercial Officers as required.
• Conduct assurance and due diligence of commercial activity within own area of responsibility in order to provide confidence in commercial outcomes. Participate in Peer Reviews as required.
• Provide support and assistance to commercial enabling teams to assist delivery of DE&S Business Improvement projects.
• Contribute to wider Commercial functional and DE&S initiatives as required.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Hold a minimum of a CIPS Level 4 Foundation Diploma and be will to working towards achieving and obtaining Levels 5 and 6, including attendance at defence commercial professionalism courses to develop commercial skills and ensure on-going Continuing Professional Development
• A willingness to achieve Government Commercial Function (GCF) professional standard through Practitioner Level Accreditation Panel
• Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office and ability to use IT systems and programmes
• Relevant contract management experience.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Contract Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Managing a quality service
• Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The DE&S & SDA Commercial Function is made up of around 1000 people who provide independent, professional judgement on commercial, procurement and contract management matters to meet the Armed Force’s needs, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and guidance, whilst driving value for the customer. As a member of the Commercial team, you will play a key part in helping to equip and support the armed forces for everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 7th February 2021
Grace Ward - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist£37,400 - £44,000
||Grace Ward - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
HM Naval Base
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)