Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is looking for Engineers with Mechanical Engineering experience, to help deliver four Dreadnought submarines, in a £31 billion endeavour, with the first ready for patrol in the early 2030s.
The Dreadnought Class design is nearing completion and construction has been underway for several years, but there are still some areas of the design that require significant MOD input as an intelligent customer. Once the design has been finalised, responsibility shifts to ensuring design intent is maintained through the build programme. In the coming years, the submarines will undergo a rigorous Test & Commissioning programme, before handover to the Royal Navy, and all design issues must be successfully addressed during that period.
The SDA requires Design Assurance Engineers to join their team, to advise on technical problem solving and provide appropriate management planning. You will need to define technical requirements, manage solution development and ensure compliance with customer requirements. The assignments are an integral interface to our supply base, ensuring technical solutions meet the needs and requirements of the armed forces. These are challenging and rewarding roles, with exceptional opportunities to develop your engineering knowledge and skills, and to have a substantial impact on an extremely exciting and high profile programme.
As part of this vital role, you will have unique access to the design, construction, testing and commissioning of a nuclear-powered submarine. You will have a talent for communicating, influencing and making effective decisions, and will be involved in approving aspects of the design and operation, dealing with the shipbuilder on a regular basis.
Please note that due security requirements, these positions are restricted to Sole UK Nationals only.
The team is based at the BAES shipyard, Barrow. Candidates may base themselves in Barrow or Bristol, but will be required at BAES, Barrow, approximately 3 days/week.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Functional performance: Review and approval of functional design
• Safety: Production & review of safety justifications
• System analysis: Production of reports using a variety of tool sets and analyses
• Spatial Integration: Liaising with specialist engineering groups to ensure product can be built, tested, operated and maintained
• Supplier Management: Ensuring technical specifications and solutions align with design intent
• Product Assurance: Ensuring appropriate level of evidence is provided to demonstrate compliance with requirements
• Risk Management: Support the appropriate capture and management of risks
• Damage Control and Firefighting
• Submarine Escape
• Ballast Systems (Trim / Bilge / Hover / Missile Compensation)
• Diesel Generators and Supporting Systems
• HP Air and Gas systems
• Domestic Systems (Fresh Water / Waste Management / Refrigeration)
• Hydraulic Systems
• Cooling Systems (Chilled Water Plants / Chilled Water System / Fresh Water Cooling)
• Atmosphere Management (Ventilation / COGS / Scrubbers / DAMS)
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
•A minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in Mechanical Engineering (or other suitable discipline) coupled with suitable relevant experience, OR a relevant Level 6 (e.g. BEng) qualification
•Experience working with suppliers, contractors, subject matter experts and/or shareholders (or holds a relevant Level 6+ qualification)
•Experience in Mechanical systems (e.g. operator, design, testing, acceptance, etc. or holds relevant Level 6+ qualification)
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience and understanding of systems safety decision making
• Experience and understanding of the application of Mechanical Engineering within a Maritime environment (commercial or military)
• Understanding of technical risk analysis and risk based decision making
• Demonstrable experience providing technical advice, support and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Application of Analytical Techniques
• Technical Decision Making
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Seeing the big picture
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This role, if based at Barrow, offers successful applicants the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000.
Internal Applicants: Internal Applicants will be eligible for full relocation expenses.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received by 07/02/2021 at 23:55.
James Craig - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist£28,050 - £33,000
||James Craig - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)