Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Modelling and Analysis (M&A) team, an essential part of our Integrated Logistics function. This is a key specialism that guides and interacts with a range of teams and domains across Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) to deliver supply chain systems, modelling, data and metric analysis.
This rapidly growing team supports all the operational platforms the armed forces use, structuring and interpreting data via a range of complex methodologies to create useful outcomes and recommendations that have a real impact upon our armed forces and their ability to do their jobs safely and effectively. The team's recommendations will be a key component in shaping DE&S purchasing and supply chain plans.
To succeed and really make a difference in this role; critical thinking, problem solving skills and the ability to analyse and interpret data are key. The team handles a wide range of requests and often needs to respond or revise a model at short notice to meet operational needs. Given this, adaptability and the ability to make educated and reasonable assumptions on sometimes incomplete data is crucial.
Your responsibilities in the role may include, but will not be limited to the following;
• Providing logistics modelling and data analysis, including for inventory and supply chain, to support DE&S and the Front-Line Commands in accordance with agreed business processes and standards and act as a dedicated point of contact.
• Working with teams across the function and business to develop systems, processes and tools for M&A, including relevant governance processes to ensure continuous improvement.
• Leading a team in delivery of M&A activities, including directing and prioritising workload and identifying relevant training and guidance to enhance team’s skills and competencies.
• Engaging with relevant third parties to keep abreast of best practice to contribute to the creation of relevant M&A strategies, policies and processes which meet business requirements.
• Providing subject matter expertise (SME) for logistics analysis modelling and simulation techniques across the defence community, implementing the use of best practice where appropriate.
• Providing advice on the relevance and suitability of commercial tools and Defence contractors’ modelling methods, through the continuous development of assessment skills, tools and processes.
• Identify trends and implement appropriate action plans based on the review of analytics and relevant management information to ensure continuous improvement.
Due to the security requirements of these positions, they are open to applications from Sole UK Nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Project Management experience in M&A and other areas of Logistics, including Supply and Support Chain
• Experience of operating at management level in a highly complex organisation
• Sufficient knowledge to act as a SME for core M&A techniques and software (i.e. Opus 10, Simlox, Catloc, Access, Excel and SQL) as well as associated policies and processes
• Understanding of commercial or military inventory and engineering support systems
• Professional qualification in logistics or extensive relevant expertise gained through industry
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• A desire to coach, mentor and develop less experienced colleagues
• Experience using data visualisation tools to analyse, display and explain complex data (i.e. Power BI, COGNOS).
• Demonstrates understanding of advanced database design, applies techniques to reduce data redundancy and maintain data integrity
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Data and Stats
• Logistics Modelling
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Managing a quality service
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Integrated Logistics (iLog) Function is the integrating Function for Support within DE&S, responsible for the development, management and delivery of in-service support for our front-line command customers. The iLog Function consists of around 2,900 personnel, both civil servants and military, and with a wide range of disciplines ranging from operations management and supply chain management, technical through-life support and logistics delivery, to modelling and analysis.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV:
Applications must be received before 11:55 pm on Sunday 14th February 2021.
Ellen Thomas - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist45,900 - £54,000 per annum (plus benefits)
||Ellen Thomas - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)