Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
An exciting opportunity is available for a Cost Control (Engineer) to work within the Project Controls function within the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA). You will be a critical part of the business to ensure project delivery against set legislation/guidance, whilst also being the key contact for both external and internal stakeholders.
You will be involved with analysing contractor bids for single-source contracts within the MoD and supervise less complex, lower-value pricing investigations. Producing written reports documenting conclusions of cost engineering investigations will also be required.
Working in this role, your main duties and responsibilities will include:
• Produce reports that summarise cost engineering investigations and provide analysis to support contract negotiation.
• Review Contractors’ proposals and assesses them against the Single Source Regulations Office (SSRO) Guidance for Single Source Contracting.
• Analyse bid data, identifying deficiencies in the information provided and finding solutions.
• Lead and/or participate in meetings with the Contractor, the customer and SDA stakeholders to improve the quality of the evidence supplied to support bidders’ costs.
• Provide analysis to support negotiations.
• Support junior colleagues by coaching them where needed to ensure quality outputs.
• To communicate key project cost engineering data to key member of the project, programme and DE&S/SDA leadership.
• To communicate and influence team member and leadership within SDA Project and Supply chain within the Cost Engineering technical field
Please note due to security requirements of this role, it is only available for SOLE UK NATIONALS.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Level 3 qualification in a relevant subject OR sufficient relevant experience within a Project or Programme environment
• Expert in using EXCEL or similar equivalent software
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Willingness to work towards ‘Enrolled’ accreditation by the Association of Cost Engineers (ACostE).
• Experience within a manufacturing or production environment
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a project
• Stakeholder management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the
• Communicating and influencing
• Managing a quality service
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across SDA, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Jeff Walker - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist31,450 - £37,000
||Jeff Walker - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
HMNB Devonport, HM Naval Base, Devonport
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)