Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Location: Bristol, Plymouth, Manchester
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Project Controls is a key function within DE&S/SDA and plays a vital role in ensuring the success of projects by providing Cost Control, Estimating, Planning & Scheduling and Risk Management. What makes us unique is that we are involved in all phases of a project from the proposal through to completion, ensuring work is delivered on time and within budget.
We are currently recruiting for Principal Cost Control Engineers to provide robust support across a variety of exciting projects and portfolios and become an integral part of the wider Project Controls function moving forward. Working in a challenging environment with countless opportunities for progression this role will make full use of your skill set and technical ability working hand-in-hand with sub-disciplines on significant Defence contracts - often capital projects worth from £5M to £750M+ in value. The role of the Cost Engineer is to work closely with our industrial partners on single-source-contracts. Projects will be focused around Land, In-Service Submarines, Air or Corporate Services and could range from supplying missiles and weapons, aircraft development or leading, cutting-edge initiatives.
Cost Engineering is currently a changing and developing area within DE&S / SDA, refocusing activities to become a vibrant new generation and this position will provide you with the opportunity to help shape this transformation and move Cost Engineering into the future.
As a Principal Cost Engineer you will be responsible for contributing too and managing the delivery of Cost Engineering services providing audit and assurance of single source procurement; you will integrate relevant pricing, risk and rates information and will be responsible for providing cost assurance to ensure that prices are fair, driving efficient delivery and key investment decisions. The ability to engage and manage stakeholders appropriately and effectively is crucial, ultimately achieving a value for money outcome for Defence.
As part of this role, you will be involved in the delivery of tasks which could require:
• Lead a team of cost engineers and provide mentoring and coaching to ensure continuous improvement.
• To communicate complex project cost engineering data to key member of the projects, programme and DE&S leadership in a simple and understandable way.
• To communicate and influence team member and leadership within DE&S Project and Supply chain within the Cost Engineering technical field
• Review Contractors’ proposals and assesses them against the Single Source Regulations Office (SSRO) Guidance for Single Source Contracting.
• Lead engagement with defence contractors, the customer and other DE&S / SDA stakeholders.
• Manage cost engineering investigations, guiding resourcing and planning.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• A mixture of skills covering a range of Cost Control / Planning & Scheduling and the integration with cost management, principles
• Proven management and development skills
• Demonstration of analytical skills in complex problem solving
• Demonstrable understanding of company systems – Finance/Production/Accounting/Budgeting/Estimating
• A knowledge of Basis of Estimate and Quality Assurance Processes
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Knowledge and experience which meets the standards required to gain Accreditation by the Association of Cost Engineers (ACostE)
• Experience and knowledge of single source contracting regulations
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a Project
• Stakeholder Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
• Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Parking is available at this site.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across DE&S, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Molly Brett - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist39,100 - £46,000
||Molly Brett - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, HMNB Devonport, MOD Manchester, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street
Bristol, Plymouth, Manchester
BS34 8JH, PL2 2BG, M1 2WD
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)