Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
We have an exciting opportunity to join DE&S and to be part of The Future Maritime Support Programme (FMSP) as an Operations Manager at HMNB Clyde.
The FMSP will replace the existing Maritime Service Delivery Framework (MSDF) in April 2021 and you will be supporting multiple change initiatives aligned to the implementation of FMSP at HMNB Clyde.
FMSP is the largest support programme ever undertaken by the MOD. The programme is developing and implementing new commercial arrangements with Industry from April 2021. The programme scope includes all aspects of Naval Base Support, warship and submarine engineering. From the beds Royal Navy personnel sleep in, to the warships and submarines they serve in, the FMSP will support all of this in every UK Naval Base.
You will be involved in the realisation of the FMSP operating model to initial operating capability, the parallel organisational change in support of FMSP and the creation of associated processes and governance.
Your role as an Operations Manager, will be located at HMNB Clyde, reporting to the Senior Operations Manager based at the Head Office in Abbeywood, Bristol.
You will be part of the FMSP Warehousing and Distribution (W&D) Contract Management Team (CMT), where you will be the Authority’s focal point responsible for monitoring, control and management of all warehousing and distribution activities necessary to ensure the W&D Contractor delivers the services required by the customer as defined in the FMSP W&D contract.
During the first 6 months, you will provide supporting activities that facilitates and ensures the successful transition from the existing contract and supplier to the new, following their appointment.
To succeed, you will need to be highly proactive with a continuous improvement mind-set. Managing a team of four you will encourage a culture of imaginative thinking, learning from experience and expanding mind-sets to challenge the status quo to continually drive for improved quality.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to -
• Managing the liaison with and connect to stakeholders including customers, suppliers and internal teams on the delivery of the contract.
• Motivate improved performance by the supplier, challenging any gaps between contractual commitments and actual delivery through joint working with commercial/procurement experts; development and management of governance arrangements for the delivery of the services.
• Leading investigations where the required Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) are not being achieved to the required quality, standard or timescales, and help to identify the issues and take appropriate action.
• Being the Authority's focal point at the waterfront for all W&D Contractor queries and dealing with W&D issues raised by Navy Command, DE&S, RN Customers, other stakeholders and key organisations.
• Accountability for the management of resources, and working with the supplier to obtain, analyse and deliver Cost to Serve management information to assist with FMSP benefits realisation.
• Co-ordinate and conduct regular rolling, weekly reviews of the Service Delivery Working Group with the W&D supplier to proactively identify and manage dependencies between day to day operation and management of the FMSP W&D contract.
• Proactively balancing warehouse storage capacity and inventory holdings.
• Provide valuable business insight and work alongside colleagues to help spot warning signs of things going wrong and providing a decisive response to significant delivery challenges, implementing short term solutions whilst identifying root causes and suggesting options for long term corrective action whilst maintaining control of support outputs and costs.
• High level thinking and stakeholder management to continually drive performance improvement and an understanding and application of problem solving and Continuous Improvement (CI) tools and techniques.
• Engaging with multiple stakeholders across the business and a strong understanding of contract and operations management to deal directly with representatives from suppliers including support requirements that need to be included in contracts.
Please note, due security requirements this post is open to Sole UK Nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Experience working in a delivery environment at an operational level within one of the Operational Management or associated disciplines (Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Technical Through Life Support, Commercial) within a large, complex organisation
• Strong communication, influencing and engagement skills with stakeholders at all levels, internal and external
• Experience of leadership and people management, or that of a multi-disciplinary team
• Experience in managing supplier performance and service delivery
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience in warehouse operational delivery
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Customer Service
• Managing support, supplier and customer networks
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Managing a quality service
• Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Integrated Logistics (iLog) Function is the integrating Function for Support within DE&S, responsible for the development, management and delivery of in-service support for our front-line command customers. The iLog Function consists of around 2,900 personnel, both civil servants and military, and with a wide range of disciplines ranging from operations management and supply chain management, technical through-life support and logistics delivery, to modelling and analysis.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
Please find 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' by copying and pasting the following link into your browser:
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV which clearly demonstrates the following areas (which you will be assessed against):
• Key Achievements
• Relevant Experience
• Applied Knowledge and Skills
For additional guidance on writing a CV for DE&S, please click here
Firstly we’ll check that you meet the essential criteria that are listed for the role. If you do, we’ll then carry out a more detailed review of your CV to see if your qualifications and experience are a good match for the role(s).
If you’re successful, we’ll invite you to an interview so you can meet us, discuss your Key Achievements, Relevant Experience and Applied knowledge & Skills. In addition to the above, you'll also be assessed against a technical competence and the listed behaviours, aligned to our DE&S Behaviours which can be found attached at the bottom of the page.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
| Job Requirements/
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 22nd February 2021
Please copy and paste the following link into your browser. You will need to register with Skillstream to create a profile and upload your CV
Ellen Thomas£34,000 - £40,000
Defence Equipment and Support
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)