Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our Armed Forces’ equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles, submarines and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's armed forces deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now!
Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) are looking to expand their team of Safety and Environmental consultants, based at Abbey Wood, supplying consultancy services to defence procurement projects within the Land, Air & Maritime areas.
As a technical expert in your field, you will become part of our wider Internal Technical Support (ITS) team, a group of in-house technical experts responsible for providing consultancy services to significant procurement projects across the Ministry of Defence.
Within this team, you will become a ‘go-to’ expert, contributing vital expertise and managing safety or environmental risks across a wide breadth of high-profile projects and equipment, from combat aircraft and armoured vehicles to submarines and aircraft carriers. You will influence safety or environmental decisions across the full project life cycle of the equipment used on the front line, from design and build, to through-life support, and safe and responsible decommissioning.
Additionally, as part of the team, we want you to support us in continually identifying and helping to spread best practice across DE&S, promoting skills development, standardising process and increasing knowledge transfer throughout the business.
Please note: due to security requirements, some of these posts are open to sole UK nationals only.
The responsibilities of the posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- You will work on complex products, systems and services, you will scope fixed price technical consultancy tasks to meet customer needs and ensure they are delivered to cost, time and customer satisfaction
- You will negotiate and deliver against a commitment to carry out accurately costed tasks
- You will develop artefacts/evidence used in the assessment of environmental/safety risk, and consider the implications of changes to equipment design, offering mitigation advice in the process
- You will develop and implement environmental/safety management systems for products, services or systems, as either part of design or in-service support
- You will act as an independent subject practitioner, supporting our delivery teams and industry partners with best practice, legislative and regulatory compliance, and mitigation techniques, consistently encouraging continuous improvement at all levels
- You will utilise your exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills to offer all of the above services across multiple areas, including Maritime, Land, Weapons, Air and Submarines, ensuring that your solutions are understood and appropriately executed
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• You will have demonstrable and relevant consultancy experience as a safety or environmental advisor with the ability to scope and deliver high quality outputs to time and cost against developed programmes of work
• You will demonstrate experience using a range of environmental/safety tools and techniques, to provide advice and guidance on complex projects
• You will hold a minimum of a Level 5 (e.g. HND) qualification in an engineering or science discipline, or will demonstrate equivalent relevant industry experience
• You will have experience in the development and writing of safety or environmental artefacts in support of compelling safety/environmental bodies of evidence
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Professional registration with a relevant institution
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Application of Analytical Techniques
• Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Managing a quality service
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers."
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Louise Lees - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist43,350 - £51,000
||Louise Lees - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)