Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
Within the SDA, the Dreadnought Alliance programme has been established to deliver the successor to the fleet of Vanguard Class SSBNs by replacement with the Dreadnought Class SSBN in support of Continuous At Sea Deterrent (CASD).
As a Project Manager you will work as part of the APM Design area of the Dreadnought Alliance, providing the necessary support required whilst focusing on the whole boat integration platform design, including combat systems through to waste disposals.
This position offers plenty of breadth, and will require you to deal with a large number for stakeholders and the management of one-to-one relationships, managing 30 to 60 different projects as part of the much larger whole boat integration project.
An understanding of engineering or a familiarity of working with engineering teams would be beneficial; however, your desire and drive to develop submarine and maritime knowledge will be most significant. This is an excellent opportunity to work on the design phase of a mature MOD project, progressing your project management experience and credentials.
Responsibilities as Project Manager will include:
• Reporting on, and analysis of, management information. You will look at the performance of contractors against agreements of the contract, e.g progress against achievements and performance milestones.
• Co-ordinating with the engineering function on the progress of delivery and design.
• Being accountable for the delivery of projects' outputs within the performance/cost/time envelope for a semi-complex project, multiple simple projects or complex control accounts.
• Being responsible for ensuring the most cost-effective and efficient means of delivery, whilst mitigating risk and leveraging opportunities.
• Supporting an open, honest, no blame culture. Actively highlighting failures and shortfalls positively and draw on learning from experience to benefit the project or control account, advising on mitigations and engaging with stakeholders to mitigate wider occurrence.
• Embedding and adhering to all governance and policy and enable the required compliance throughout their team, ensure appropriate challenge and gain approval to deviate when necessary.
• Regularly meeting the customer to understanding the objective, requirements and the means of acceptance in line with the MOD's Operating Model and Defence Lines of Development.
Please note that due to the secure nature of this position, this role is open to SOLE UK nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Experience building relationships and working with stakeholders
• Experience of managing multiple projects simultaneously
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Any internationally recognised PM qualification or registration (e.g. APM PPQ, PMI PgMP, or APM Chartered Project Professional)
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Controlling a project
• Stakeholder Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Working together
• Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation’s future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Jeff Walker - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist34,850 - £41,000
||Jeff Walker - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
BAES, Barrow-in-Furness, Building A43
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)