Name: Defence Equipment and Support
Status: Full Time
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
A unique and vital requirement for a Lead Engineering Manager has arisen within the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), leading the SDA Principal Naval Overseers (PNO) team, in Barrow-in-Furness.
You will have the opportunity to lead the PNO, a team of circa 50 staff, predominantly made up of engineers, providing independent assurance that build activities meet necessary contractual safety and quality requirements. PNO undertake risk-based surveillance of submarines, during build and commissioning, and provide related technical advice to the Astute and Dreadnought delivery teams.
As the PNO Lead Engineering Manager, you will play a key role overseeing the existing team and be influential in its development. You will support and ensure the build integrity of three extremely high profile projects, paramount to the integrity of the UK’s existing, and future, defence capability: Astute, Dreadnought and the Future SSNR. This assignment is integral to these three projects, ensuring each meets the needs and requirements of the Royal Navy.
Please note that, due to security requirements, this post is restricted to sole UK nationals only.
As Lead Engineering Manager, your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- You will lead the SDA technical assurance organisation to enable the UK submarine build portfolio
- You will have day-to-day management responsibility of build and commissioning assurance across the UK submarine build portfolio
- Working with the SDA submarine build project teams and BAES, you will manage emergent build and commissioning quality issues to successful resolution
- You will capture and exploit learning from experience to improve the effectiveness of UK submarine build
- You will lead the interface with the BAES quality Improvement Programme, to improve the effectiveness of BAES submarine build operations
- You will lead the technical development of the PNO team to ensure its continued effectiveness
- Managing the PNO, You will ensure adherence to the correct build standards, through direct surveillance across the Barrow Shipyard.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• You will hold Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (or equivalent) status, or demonstrate equivalent qualifications and experience
• You will be qualified to a minimum of Level 6 (e.g. BEng) in a relevant Engineering or Science discipline, or have equivalent relevant experience
• You will have experience of providing technical advice at a senior level and leading engineering teams in the delivery of successful outcomes in multidisciplinary projects
• You will demonstrate knowledge and application of Quality Management from within a production environment (e.g. aerospace, automotive, etc)
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Submarine build experience
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• EFCF 3 Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance (Practitioner)
• EFCF 5 Technical Risk Management (Expert)
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using 'The Little Book of Big Benefits' booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the Armed Forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
| Job Requirements/
Please copy and paste the following into your browser for further information:
Louise Lees - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist64,600 - £76,000
||Louise Lees - DE&S Talent Acquisition Specialist
Defence Equipment and Support
SDA Offices, BAES Barrow-in-Furness
More Listings from Defence Equipment and Support
Keep up-to-date by subscribing to our eNewsletter. (you can un-subscribe at anytime)